Can hate speech also be free speech?

Pastor Fred Phelps and several members of the Westboro Baptist Church discuss their upcoming case before the Supreme Court, in which they'll be arguing for their right to picket at military funerals with the message that soldier deaths are divine punishment for America's tolerance of homosexuality.
Link to article and video: http://www.newsweek.com/video/2010/10/05/free-speech-fight.html

tasches

Asked by tasches at 4:50 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• This activity is disrespectful and completely inappropriate, I hope they are charged with harassment or something, that will legally stop them from doing this any more.

There are radical extremists in every religion, they are wrong and will someday have to explain themselves...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 10:50 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I have a tried and true method that works 100% of the time. If I find something personally offense, I do not listen, leave the venue, quit reading the written work, turn off the tv or car radio or hang up the phone. People can spew all the crap they want but they will not hold me as a captive audience- This includes the religious or any other speaker-even mandated seminars/meetings for work.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:54 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Unfortunately you can't silence someone just because they're hateful and stupid. As long as the speech isn't threatening it is covered by the first amendment.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 6:02 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• We tread on a very slippery slope here. The Westboro group has the right to picket wherever they wish. They even get permits and sue if the permit is denied. However, what they picket is beyond comprehension. How do they feel this will change anything? Where is the compassion for the loss a family is suffering? The freedom of speech is a liberty we hold near and dear even when it is hurtful and absurd. So, it would be up to the good conscience of the "speaker" to curtail the speech that harms. That isn't going to happen. If we begin to restrict speech, you can guarantee your speech will begin to be restricted. Are we ready for that?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:29 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• it should be! and i hope they get prosecuted for it. assholes!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:51 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• shouldn't be, i meant. lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• fred phelps needs to be assassinated. everyone that ever had a message of peace, love, and equality has been shot, like john lennon, medgar evers, martin king jr. why is it that the love is killed and not the evil
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 4:56 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Not to mention giving these bozos more time in the national spotlight, which is exactly what they are after.
    annabellelee

Answer by annabellelee at 5:02 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I hate the WBC bunch as much as the next person, but I think we need to be careful when we say it's unfortunate they have the right to say these things. I'm very glad we have the freedom in this country to say what we want, even if it's utterly disgusting. What I find unfortunate is that there are people like this and that they claim to represent Christianity.
    solamama

Answer by solamama at 5:17 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• It CAN be...but it doesn't absolve the "speaker" from the repercussions of said freedom to say whatever he/she wants. That is the "tricky" part that seems to confuse most people, when exercising their right(s). :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2010