My 5 year old starts kindergarten in the fall. Am I completely crazy to be worried about his feelings getting hurt?

My oldest is starting kindergarten and I am worried he will come home heartbroken because other kids might be mean to him. He is a normal 5 year old boy and usually makes friends easily, but school is different.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You aren't crazy, of course you want it to be a good experience for him. But if you don't get your worries under control he is very likely to pick up on your anxiety & get anxious about school himself. If he makes friends easily & you encourage him to be friendly it is almost a certainty that he will do well socially. So relax, school can be rough, but it can also be great for kids. Think positive & he will too.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 9:47 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Why is school different? He should do very well judging by what you write. The teacher knows how to help the kids individually and as a class adjust. She will let you know if there are any problems. Did you have bad experiences at school? Just wondering why you are specifically afraid of him being made fun of. No reason at this time to be thinking that unless something brought it about in your mind.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 10:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I think kindergarten is much easier for kids than 1st grade. It's all new and they meet new people. From what I saw with my 2 (now 5th gr and 2nd gr) in kindergarten there wasn't many kids that were mean.

Will you be able to volunteer in the room? Be prepared for tears because you will cry when you drop him off on the first day. I did - and mine have gone to day care since they were 6 weeks old. But they come home and have so much exciting stuff to tell you about.

It will be fine.
    creative_genius

Answer by creative_genius at 10:24 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• He will do just fine, amazingly fine. We all worry about our kids, but this is just you on mommy-worry-overload. I teach all day K and the kids do so well after they get used to school. It takes a couple weeks for some. Crying is natual. Leave. It is so much easier on the child and teacher. I love this age and they almost all make friends naturally and they love school. When my almost 2nd grader started K I was so worried and sad. She had been in Montessori School for 2 years, but I still had these types of fears. The kids adapt so quickly your head will spin and your heart will find peace. :)
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• If your son makes friends easily then I wouldnt be too worried. just remember that all the kids in his class are there for the first time too and they will be just as scared, anxious, and excited as he is. Remember also that there are the select few kids that are out of hand sometimes but like i said earlier i wouldnt worry too much.
    purpleonyx

Answer by purpleonyx at 10:42 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• You're not crazy, just a mom. He's going to have to get his feelings hurt by other kids at times to learn how to cope with that. You don't want him to run and hide every time someone says something mean to him.

He'll be just fine and so will you.
    mwebb

Answer by mwebb at 7:38 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I think you just have to wait and see. You just have to be there for him when he comes home heartbroken. It is normal that you worry and it is normal that kids feel hurted by their peers' action or words.

I remembered some day my then 5-6 yrs old came home from school, all he wanted to do was crying. A lot of days i didn't get why because i always very attentive as soon as he got to the house area. Snack, and juice were all ready for him. One day, i decided just sit there and hug him and he told me he had a bad day at school because he didn't get all A and peers were not nice to him.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 1:44 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Sometimes, they just need someone to listen to them.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 1:45 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I totally understand how you feel, but I think this is normal for Moms to worry about their kids fellings getting hurt. We just want to protect them.
    Lore75

Answer by Lore75 at 12:48 PM on Jul. 9, 2008