Can every mom breast feed?

I tried to breast feed but only gave about half ounce from one breast and none from the other.

Michy215

Asked by Michy215 at 8:42 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That sounds like me. No, I don't think every woman can. With a great deal of help and a lot of support I think I might have been able to but I don't know. I didn't have the money to spend on the help and had no support at home. If you think about it, "wet-nurses" have been around for a long time simply because not every woman could.
    I found the book "Spilt Milk" helpful. You might look it up at amazon and see if it might help you.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:55 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• sometimes it takes a while to make enough most mothers that souly breastfeed dont get the infent enough the first month(thats what my doc to me)... IT may sound weird but you might have to let the child suck longer even if not getting anything cause the body can start to produce on demand and some women dont make enough it all depends. you just have to try...( i dont know if this is all try but its what doctors have told me)
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 8:57 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• No not every mother can breastfeed and if you can't then so be it and don't let anyone try to make you feel wrong or guilty about it. I breastfed my 1st for 3 months, my 2nd for 2 months and my 3rd for 2 weeks.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 9:01 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• There are physical reasons why a mom may not be able to breastfeed. It can be the mom (lack of breast development, thyroid imbalance, PCOS or other hormonal imbalance) or the baby (tongue tie, weak suck). Many times a low supply is caused by mom not getting baby to the breast enough, but not always. It is also possible to have supply problems with one child and then do fine with the next.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:10 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• If your really inerested in doing it and want some really good advice join the group breastfeeding moms. I'm a member and the ladies are great!
    proudmamma9706

Answer by proudmamma9706 at 9:18 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Pump between feedings to help your milk come in more. You make it on a supply and demand basis, but some women's body chemistries conflict with milk production, and that may be the case. Best of luck!
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 9:45 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• every mother can breastfeed whether it be an ounce or a bunch. for one day for 5 years. It depends on you and your body as well as baby. Even now today adoptive mothers can breastfeed. talk to the pediatrician and they can advise what to do about milk supply and how to get it up.
    motherofzander

Answer by motherofzander at 10:05 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I had lots of trouble. Decided it was better for my baby to have formula than for me to be afraid of my child.
    Anonymous

• 4 months later (only breast feed for 2 weeks) my nipples are STILLtore up. When I went to the hospital to do supp feeding the nurse cried cause in the 14 years she had been doing this she had never seen anyone as tore up as me. They are almost healed up all the way, but not 100% yet. I didn't produce any milk and NEVER became engorged when I stopped. My son drank formula from the little tiny tube on my breast rather than me no matter how hard I tried. I figured I'd rather him get formula and have a happy mommy than BF and a mean, upset, hurting mommy!

I don't think BF is right for every mom. I will try again if I have another, but some moms just have problems be it production or the baby
    bigtrucksgirl

Answer by bigtrucksgirl at 10:29 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I think every mom is physically capable of breastfeeding, but it's not the best choice for every mom. One example is I know they don't recommend that mom's who smoke or take some prescriptions. Otherwise, breastfeeding is a 24/7 committment (HARDEST THING I EVER DID!!!). If you're really committed, check w/your local hospital to see if they have free assistance (lactation consultants or labor/delivery nurses call line). It's really important to have the baby to your breast every 2-3 hours around the clock, even if you have to wake the baby up - they produce hormones in their saliva that actually stimulate your milk production. If you can't get baby awake enough to suckle, try pumping like suggested in the PP. Oh, and make sure to have some salve ready for your nipples - they'll get really sore and pretty torn up. I used Lanolin after every feeding.
    baenglishwc05

Answer by baenglishwc05 at 11:19 PM on Oct. 24, 2008