Athiests?

I am in debate groups on religion on CM, and I was wondering, why do athiests care about what other people believe? I am so sick of people telling me how wrong I am for believing in God and the Bible! Why would they even care? In their opinion, it is all fake, so what difference does it make to them?

momof3josephs

Asked by momof3josephs at 4:56 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because I wish to share my happiness and fulfillment through truth as much as believers wish to share theirs. I care about the human race and because I view the belief in god and religions as something negative- a disease that spreads like wild fire and causes nothing but hate, anger, destruction, war and death, I feel it's my duty to rid the world of it.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:21 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Take your question, change it from Atheists to Christians
    ,
    why do christian care about what other people believe? I am so sick of people telling me how wrong I am for not believing in God and the Bible! Why would they even care?

So consider, why do you care what others believe? Why do you share what you believe with others? Why did you join a debate group? Was it to clear up misconceptions of your own beleifs or was it to convince others of them?
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I'm an Atheist and I don't tell people how wrong they are. I keep my beliefs to myself just like I hope those who do believe would keep their beliefs to themselves. I sorry you've came across some pushy people but we aren't all like that.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:57 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• well I am not an athiest.....but I am sure that they feel the same way -- I am sure their are alot of people who believe in God and the bible who try and "push" it on them.... it doesnt mean they all do it, so they can pretty much ask you the same question..
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 5:02 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I don't push you to believe anything. Most of the time I have to bite my tongue so I don't offend the Christians around here. They can say anything they want to me, but I don't have the privilige of saying "I don't believe in 'God'" without getting looks of hatred aimed at me. I just nod my head, smile and move on.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I'm currently agnostic (leaning towards atheism) and I certainly don't go around telling people they are wrong. I'm sure however it goes both ways, I sometimes feel the same way about those that are Christian. However I keep in mind not everyone is that way, its just we tend to see those who are pushing their views on everyone as the "right" way more often than those that are not.
    I'm also sorry you came up against this, its too bad more people can't just be open minded to have rational discussions, nothing can be learned or improved when you can't have a discussion with people willing to open their mind to different points of view...it doesn't me we will ever agree, but there is no point to arguing about things it gets you no where.
    Although that being said sounds like it was a debate group, which can definitely get heated and pushy. ;)
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 5:23 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Just wondering what are the words they use? I mean do they actually say you are wrong?
    Or is it a matter of them asking questions about the bible or God or if you believe certain things to be true or whatever...
    I know I will ask questions because I am curious and want to know why and how people believe what they do.
    I would never tell you that you are wrong. I think there are believers who think that because we ask questions- and then state how WE see things, that we are saying they are wrong. If you are good with what you believe and feel strongly about it then that is what matters.
    I think everyone sees the world differently, and no one way is necessariy better than another-we jsut have to go with what works for us indivdually.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:41 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• ...You believe what makes the most sense to you , and I will go with what makes sense to me. I would not tell you to stop believeing and I would hope you wouldn't tell me to start!

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:43 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• de·bate   
    noun, verb, -bat·ed, -bat·ing.
    –noun
    1. a discussion, as of a public question in an assembly, involving opposing viewpoints.
    Not to be rude, but if you're on a debate thread, you're going to get people trying to convince you you're wrong, regardless of what you believe. That's the whole point of a debate. If you only want people to agree with you, stick to this board and ask "christian only" questions. That said, I don't care what individuals believe, per se, but I DO care when church takes over politics. Gay marriage isn't federally recognized b/c the bible says it's wrong? Yeah, that's a problem, and that's when I start to care what "other people" believe.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 8:02 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Oh, I am sure all athiests are not like that...I just wasn't sure why any athiest would be.
    momof3josephs

Comment by momof3josephs (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2010