• In the Spotlight:

should i get rid of my cat?

i just got him about 5 months ago he is 3 years old.. but im scarred hes going to try to jump in the crib with the baby..he loves to be in your face..and lays on top of you if ha can get to you..anyone else have a cat this this? should i find him a new home hes a fixed Siamese with no front nails

liljess09

Asked by liljess09 at 4:58 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Pets

• Oh good, so you have plenty of time to train him. Here's a good article with good ideas. And yes, they sell those tents everywhere...

http://www.allsands.com/pets/cats/catandbaby_zun_gn.htm

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:07 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Ummm, no. I have 7 cats, and some of them are very "in your face" (jump in my lap the minute I sit down, sleep on top of me at night), but they have never bothered my child. One of them liked jumping in the crib, but only if he wasn't in there. Babies cry, cats don't really care for that, heh. Do you already have the baby, or are you pregnant now? If you're pregnant, you can start teaching him not to jump in the crib now, by putting some aluminum foil in it. Cats HATE that, so if he does jump in, he'd get out in a hurry, trust me. Also, they sell covers you can put on a crib to keep cats out.

I never for one second considered getting rid of my animals. They're part of the family.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:01 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Put the crib up now and see if he even goes in it....if he does just keep plucking him out and saying NO. If you are still worried it may be an issua then they make sheer tents that fit over the top of cribs to keep pets out....so getting rid of a family member, aka your cat is not necessary.

Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:00 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• No, you don't take on a responsibility like a cat and then just "get rid of him" ... keep him out of the baby's room and invest in one of those little nets that cover the crib, they specifically make them for this very issue. You have to baby proof everything else, baby proof the cat. You should have thought about this prior to getting him. You don't just take in a cat or any animal on a whim, its a life long responsibility. Your baby will grow up quickly and this will not be an issue for long, next thing you know, they will be best of friends.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:01 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Cats are very intelligent, IMO. My mother freaked and moved my cat every time she jumped into my son's crib. She was afraid the cat would smother him. Spitz would always give her a dirty look and hop right back in that crib. That was her baby! She was there when I was in labor and I was there for her labor, lol. I understand your concern but I dont think your cat will try to be in the baby's face. Tom cats, in my experience, though, rarely want much to do with babies. They arent too sure of these new little ones. Good luck!
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 5:04 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• it kills me to even think about it and im 17 weeks pregnant and my so and i are scarred about it..i love him to death i dont want to get rid of him..thank you do they sell the crib covers at babys r us?
    liljess09

Comment by liljess09 (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Trust me, cats are smart.....my one cat went in the crib all the time before Katelyn (who is 10 months old) was born and it drove me nuts, but he's never gone in it since she has been born. And now that she stands and walks holding on to things and grabbing him, he doesn't try to scratch or bite, he just gives her a dirty look (he's got quite the personality) and leaves. They are smart, intuitive creatures.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:10 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• and i didnt know i was prgo when i got him..hes the reason i found out because bring him home caused a huge fight with me and my so..we have 2 cats now 2 dogs and 3 snakes..so we have alot of pets its not like i would just throw him out of the house my grandma wants him if i get rid of him..i got him for her in the first place but i fell in love with him so i kept him. and we baby profed the snakes room and put dubble lock's on everything theres no way they can get out..i also didnt know they made the crib covers intill now.
    liljess09

Comment by liljess09 (original poster) at 5:11 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• No! You shouldn't. I had a cat like this who was my childhood cat. He was 13 years when my daughter was born. He would get in the crib with her when she was older(closer to 2yrs) but never tried when she was a baby. One thing that I did to keep it from happening was to shut the door. They do make tent tops you can place over the crib to prevent it as well. People have pets all the time with babies in the house. Please don't be like many others who use the baby coming as their excuse to get rid of the pet. You took on the responsibility of this cat and should not get rid of him just because something in your life is changing. That is not the cats fault.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:13 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• This thing about cats getting being a threat to sleeping babies is an old wives' tale. Have you ever heard of a real incident where a cat was on a baby? Don't get rid of the cat.
    Whimsee

Answer by Whimsee at 5:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2010