How can I make them stop?

I have 3 kids, but my 2 oldest are always fighting! They are both boys, ages 7 and 3. I am looking for "friend building" exercises, some kind of activities to help them learn to get along. There is no fighting at home, and it is a very peaceful environment, I don't know where they get it from!

momof3josephs

Asked by momof3josephs at 4:58 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Unfortunately no matter how peaceful your home may be, sibling rivalry will always be present. Don't know what you can do to stop them, other than discipline them when they do fight. You could also make them stand there and hug each other when they are going at it:)

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 5:02 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I read something a million years ago in a woman's magazine.. The mother said when her two children fought she'd make them stand nose to nose in the middle of the room. Somehow that always made the kids erupt into giggles and they'd forget what they were fighting about.
    Or maybe you can put both of them to work on a chore or a craft they can do together. Redirecting is usually what works best. Good luck! It wont completely stop the fighting but at least it will be the end of round one!
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 5:14 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I agree there will always be sibling rivalry but there should definitely be a limit. The age difference may be a big factor...they dont have much in common or the older one doesn't want the little one touching his stuff. I have 4, 3 boys and a girl. I am always reminding them that their friends will come and go but they will always be brother and sister. Make play time more structured. Give them time they have to play alone and then time to play together. During the time they are together find something they play with well together or a craft they can do. Ask your older to teach something to your younger one...a song or something...usually the older child likes to be "the boss" and this gives them the opportunity to do that in a constructive way. Hope this helps some! Good luck!
    armyofmany

Answer by armyofmany at 6:00 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• One more thing...in my experience and opinion...forcing them to hug or hold hands or any of those type of tactics seem to make them resent each other more and doesn't seem to be affective. Like I said, just my opinion.
    armyofmany

Answer by armyofmany at 6:02 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My son and DIL have a kindness chart. The children get stickers or treats for doing kind things. Then when they reach a certain level they go on a day trip, out to eat even if just to McD's, or get ice cream. Their two are older than 3 though so I don't know if it would work with the 3 year old. Definitely would for 7 year old. Just one idea.........
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:36 PM on Oct. 5, 2010