• In the Spotlight:

Is it the formula that is causing my baby to be gassy and fussy?

At the hospital they gave my son Similac which after 4 days started to give him bad gas and he grunted and cried after every feeding, we switched to Enfamil Lipil which seemed to be ok until his 1 week doctirs appointment where I was told to "try" Enfamil Gentlease. This was a complete disaster... he cried even more than he did on the regular Enfamil. It has been 2 days back on the regualr Enfamil and he is doing the same thing he did on the Similac. We had this same problem with our daughter and she had to be on Nestle Good Start, after 2 bottles she was a happy content baby. I would be willing to again "try" it but I am afraid I am just screwing him up with all of the changes. Any advise??? Wondering when enough is enough and wishing I could sleep in bed instead of the couch... HELP!

tealsangel

Asked by tealsangel at 9:03 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We went through the EXACT same thing...our daughter became very happy when she started on Good Start! Go with your gut and do what you think is right.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 9:04 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I never had a issue with similc..only soy found out my oldest was allergic to it the hard way...there is all kinds of formula out there to help with gas and fussiness... my youngest is on similac soy cause she was always fussy and like a few days later she was great and on the container it says it will help with it in 3 days
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 9:08 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I agree.....you know what is best for your baby! But you do need topick one and stick with it. I am going throughthe same thing with my son, only it is with regular milk. He was on soy formuld and now he can only drink silk.....
    CoreyLynn

Answer by CoreyLynn at 9:09 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• try the Good start and if that works, then that's great. you need to find something that makes you and your baby happy, even if it means going through alot. you can try Parents Choice, they're cheaper also.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:16 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Thanks for all the advise! I am just weary of switching him again only after 2 days of being on the Enfamil again. I feel so bad for him because I know he is hurting, I'd hate to cause him to hurt even more. Another thing I forgot to mention is that his BM's seem to be painful and take about 10 minutes to finish, sometimes when I wipe his little butt he grunts and tries to poop even more with no luck. My poor little man :(
    tealsangel

Answer by tealsangel at 9:29 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Hang in there and keep trying other formulas until you get one that works for him. Don't worry with the switches, it's better to find one in the long run that is gentler on his system.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:21 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I would try the Good Start for him since you had such good luck w/your daughter, but I'd check w/the pediatrician before making any changes after that. Have you tried giving him Mylicon gas drops? My daughter was breastfed, but she had problems w/gas at first and the only thing that helped was giving her the gas drops about 1/2 hour after she ate.
    baenglishwc05

Answer by baenglishwc05 at 11:10 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• My son also had problems with formula. His dr said it takes 7days to tell if a formula is working or not. I would pick one formula and stop switching. Then gradually switch to a differant kind but not a differant brand. My son is on Similac Sensative RS(it is milk-based but lactose-free and is made with cereal in it because he has reflux.)
    babyboomboom

Answer by babyboomboom at 11:19 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Try Similac Alimentum. My little guy got very collicky when we switched him to formula, and after a eek with Alimentum we were able to switch him back to the regular Similac but add a teaspoon of Karo light corn syrup. Good luck!
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 11:24 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• They have the nestle good start with probiotics now and that may help is tummy.
    Roxanne0607

Answer by Roxanne0607 at 4:49 AM on Oct. 25, 2008