Is it better to know the sex of your baby or wait to find out?

My 5 month ultrasound is tomorrow and I'm all of a sudden uncertain about finding out.

Cabominny

Asked by Cabominny at 5:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Knowing the sex of your baby before it's born is like knowing what all your presents are under the Christmas tree. I didn't know the sex of any of my kids before they were born. Didn't want to know. The element of surprise was a HUGE part of the birth. Our society has become one of impatience. Can't wait to grow up. Can't wait to have sex. Can't wait to know the sex of babies. Before too long, our society will no longer know the pleasure of sweet surprises.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 5:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I found out the sex of all 3 of mine. If you are uncertain have the Dr. write it down and seal it in an envelope and take it home if you decide you want to know the sex before you have the baby just open it up :)
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 5:37 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Waiting gives you an element of surprise. Gives something more to the arrival of your child then just a precious baby.
    However, finding out gives you the ability to say He or She and call them by their name. If you have one chosen.

We have chosen to find out the gender of our children with all three of them. We're happy with our choice, because now I can say "He" for baby number three. I don't like calling my baby "It", so I made up nicknames (This baby's nickname is Zeke. Due to a joke my mom started), but it's nice to have a gender and be able to say "He".
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:40 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I think it's better to know before the baby comes that way you are set and know what things to buy instead of wait and then go out and get things when really you should be home relaxing with the newborn.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I wanted to know from the start... I don't like surprises, I wanted to know what kind of clothes to buy, how to decorate the nursery, stuff like that. I'm currently pregnant with my second, and I can't WAIT to find out!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:36 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I waited to find out with both of my pregnancies it's a lot of fun hearing the DR say "It's A" girl/boy. But I like surprises. Good Luck and Congratulations. :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 5:42 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• what were doing is finding out but were not telling anyone..we weren't going to find out but then we decide to find out just not tell anyone its making some people mad but oh well lol
    liljess09

Answer by liljess09 at 5:46 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• also if u dont find out no and u end of changing your mid you can find out with your last ultrasound
    liljess09

Answer by liljess09 at 5:47 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I wanted to find out every time. I just can't handle not knowing, it drives me crazy!!

It's really up to you. :) Some people love the surprise. I mostly hate it because I don't feel like I can properly "prepare" without knowing.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 5:51 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I waited to find out,but everytime I would go for a ultrasound the Dr. looked at me and smiled and said do you want to find out the sex of the baby? And I always said no I want to be surprised, I schould've know that it would be a girl...Because my parents have 3girls and 6 Grand Daughters..:-) I love surprises...
    tanya120

Answer by tanya120 at 5:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2010