My husband wants to go only to MILs for Thanksgiving this year....but I would like to atleast eat

I love my MIL, I really do... but she cannot cook worth a lick. I know that I am a good cook, I take time to do it and I usually get phone calls from a few family members asking what I am making so they can get some left overs.... every siunday we go to my inlaws to eat dinner, and me and the kids usually eat before we go, because it is that bad.......of course my husband thinks she is Paula Deen ( because he grew up on this food) ....

On thanksgiving he wants to go to their house for dinner at 11am.. that is fine, I figured we can stay there for a couple hours and then come back and I can make our stuff and we can eat with my family that evening...but he wants to stay there all day...

Last year we ate there in the morning ( and did what I want to do this year again) ... there was 12 people and we had to all "share" the 1 pound, dry, yet UNDERCOOKED turkey... spagetthi with ketchup and ketchup only * continued*

2lilbumblebees

Asked by 2lilbumblebees at 5:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• ... her stuffing is literally just onions and cream of mushroom soup...

I am tired of arguing over this every year but I am not about to miss out on turkey again ... they live in another town and I dont drive so i cant just leave him there and come here... and the guilt trip is working as well on him anymore either.... any advice?
    2lilbumblebees

Comment by 2lilbumblebees (original poster) at 5:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Perhaps you need to be honest with your husband and tell him that her cooking isn't the best. You could be really nice and offer to help your MIL with the cooking or offer to bring something with you - like the turkey!!!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 5:36 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• yeah as for me it wouldn't be the cooking my MIL cooks really good... but to me the holidays are all about family and my husband knows how much that means to me so we do visit my family for the holidays no matter what.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 5:37 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Offer to cook for her or help. Or, do as DH and I do. He takes one son,and I take the other. He goes to his moms and I go to my sisters. I want to be with my family not his. He wants to relax and not eat two heavy meals. So it works out. I get to be with the people I enjoy and he gets to sit on his but at his moms house. Then we do Christmas together. It works for us, maybe it could work for you too.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 5:38 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Honestly, I would stand your ground. My MIL can't cook either - although she's not as bad as yours - and since I was a push over for the first ten years now I have to spend every single holiday with hubby's family.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• well I have told him before that i dont really like the things she makes ( I sometimes take other things for me and the kids to eat too )... but he basically says to suck it up and thinks that she cooks better than me ( which I understnad him saying it since it is his mom) ..but I dont know... I already asked MIL if she wants me to make a few things this year and she said no, she doesnt like help....

and for the turkey ...we have one of those tiny built in ovens that a turkey pan doesnt fit into..so we have to go to my moms so i can make it ( or my mom will put it in the oven)....and he hates going out there too so I really think that is why he is complaining... he also tries to pull this stuff at christmas
    2lilbumblebees

Comment by 2lilbumblebees (original poster) at 5:41 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Either do what you want - go to MIL's early and then go home to spend time with your family (with or without your husband), OR make a deal with him to alternate Thanksgiving - his family one year, and yours the next. I understand not wanting to miss out on a decent Thanksgiving meal or time with your family, but I also undertstand not wanting to do more than one Thanksgiving.

I see some other alternatives listed above my response too that might work well for you. GL!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:45 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Sometimes I go to visit my family at Thanksgiving and my husband goes to spend time with his, and that way we are both happy and not over-scheduled. It might cause hurt feelings for some, but it works for us.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• How and where did she ever find a 1 lb turkey, I can't even find a 1 lb chicken. Would it be possible to go to her home on thanksgiving , then cook  your own at home with your family another day. That's what I use to do because we love the left overs.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 5:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Just tell him you and the kids are not going this year. You are cooking. That's it. Put your foot down.

Answer by louise2 at 5:51 PM on Oct. 5, 2010