How would you advise a child to respond to a classmate who insists on trying to convert her?

My daugther is ten years old. We are Agnostic, but my daughter has expressed an interest in exploring Paganism. I'm fine with that--in fact, I'm happy that she wants to find the path that makes the most sense and is most meaningful to her. However, she has a classmate who nearly every day tries to convince my daughter to convert to Christianity. How would you handle this situation?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 5:41 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• J, I think I'd be contacting the teacher, because that is not okay.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 5:43 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I'm assuming she's already tried the polite "Thanks, but no thanks" approach, to no avail? Personally, I'd tell her to say "Too late, I sold my soul to Satan last weekend". Stupid, I know, but it irritates the SHIT out of me when people don't know when to back off.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:43 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I would actually go have a word with her parents and ask them to have their daughter keep her beliefs to herself and stop pushing it. Explain you respect their beliefs and you would hope they would respect your beliefs.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:43 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Okay, contacting the teacher sounds much more reasonable, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:44 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• just have her tell the girl that she is not interested, thank you very much :)
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 5:44 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I would ask the teacher to speak to her parents if you don' t know them personally.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 5:45 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• She should kindly refuse the girl and let her know that if or when she want to know more about Christianity she will come to her, otherwise she's done listening. If it continues I woudl talk with the teacher. I know a lot of parents teach their kids to "spread the gospel" but I 've tried to teach mine to share without pestering and being offensive. It sounds like this girl needs that kind of lesson.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:45 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I think this is a tough situation. As a chritian I want to say...AMEN!...but I also dont think your daughter should feel harrassed. Christians are told (from the Bible) to spread the news of the Gospel. It is our job as children of Christ. I think respectfully talking to this childs parents would be the best course of action.
    armyofmany

Answer by armyofmany at 5:46 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• If she's not being harassing about it, she's just expressing her right to free speech especially if she is not doing it where she's not being disruptive in school.
    That being said - if it does become harassing - then a word to the teacher is necessary.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• i would go straight to the students teacher, the principal, the school authorities, etc. and i would fully expect these figures to relay the 'request' to the other student, in lieu of you having to make yourself known to the parent yourself-that might cause a backlash (you know how parents can be!!!) that is unnecessary. if the school authorities can't get the job done, then by all means, find the parents and tell them how appreciative you'd be for their child to keep her beliefs to herself. as for your daughter, i'd advise her to stay away from the other student. avoid her when she can, and ignore any attempt at conversation. being in school together, it might not be possible to avoid her all together. 

some people prefer kids take care of 'kid' business themselves, but in this case, go to the higher authority. GL!

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:58 PM on Oct. 5, 2010