equal opportunity housing question

Okay theres alot of back ground to this story, but heres the basic issue. Is it unlawfull in your area to take multiple applications(and app fees) for the same property at the same time? ?I have asked my current land lord, and they said in a round about way it will violate fair housing and EO rights. Im in NC but if there are any leasing agents out there who could help me or give me any advice i would appreciate it!!!!

sweetstkissez22

Asked by sweetstkissez22 at 6:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• My father, sister and dearest friend all have apartments and they've never asked for an application fee. (I called while I was waiting for you to answer)

They all take multiple applications at the same time and it's first come first served. They can show the apt 30 times before it's rented.
    Here is what they told me:
    If you pay the fee and you don't show for the apt showing, you forfeit the fee.
    If you pay the fee, but someone takes the apt before you have a chance to look at it, you get the fee returned.
    (You have an appointment to see the apt at noon, but someone with an appointment at 11am takes it, you get your fee back.)
    If you see the apt, but you don't say you will take it when you see it and someone else takes it before you do, they keep the fee.
    (Like if you see the apt at noon and someone else sees it at 1pm and they say they will take the apt, the renter keeps the fee.)
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 7:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Application fees for an apartment?
    Or purchasing a property?
    Because yes they can and no they can't it all depends.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 6:29 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Application fees for an apartment, like have multiple active applications at the SAME time
    sweetstkissez22

Comment by sweetstkissez22 (original poster) at 6:43 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I filled out the app and turned in my 40 bucks to see if I was approved, in the mean time they took more applications and collected MORE rental fees from other families before completing my app..and havent informed the families that there are other apps ahead of theirs...the fee is NON refundable PERIOD! no exceptions on that..it covers back ground checks and such....IDK im just ill right now with their practices it seems bogus they can make 250 in a day with multiple applications without telling anyone theres a chance somone else will get it!!
    sweetstkissez22

Comment by sweetstkissez22 (original poster) at 8:12 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Thanks for your help!
    sweetstkissez22

• I have never heard of an application fee for an apartment before. I would think that would be illegal but taking multiple applications is not.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• If you don't put a holding fee down then they can take as many applications as they want. The apartment is not yours to hold unless you have that hold fee down.

It is very important to fill out your every spot on an application. If you provide pay stubs for a month and a fax and phone number for your employer/previous landlord you will prob get an answer back sooner.
    ChristinaMarie5

Answer by ChristinaMarie5 at 10:10 PM on Oct. 7, 2010