For those of us who have military children in Afghanistan, how long is it taking for mail and packages to arrive?

Queenofscrap

Asked by Queenofscrap at 6:25 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• My son is back so I called a mom I know .She said the flat rate boxes are still good and right now to a large FOB in Afghanistan is 7 to 10 days.Send holiday pkgs by Nov 15 if at all possible.Nothing of expensive value and figure a code with him to write on the outside of the box so he will hold it till the holiday.Theives love boxes marked holiday.
    drfink

Answer by drfink at 3:54 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My husband is over there and it depends on where they are at. He got his package in 2 weeks. It all depends on when the unit decides to hand out mail.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:26 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Sorry about the spelling I was talking on the phone while typing.We also sent a couple of party pkgs.We are from Texas so sent,picante sauce,queso,chips,spicy dip all commercial no homemade.His team had a party of sorts.Also go look at Buildasign.com for free or mega cheap banner or signs when he returns,Plus super cheap magnet personalized bumper stickers.I only allow kid school window decals and these bumper magnets.These are for military.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 4:06 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My son deployed to Afghanistan on May 1, 2010. He was wounded by an IED on May 27, and he had not received any packages that had been sent prior to his deployment. We finally got the package that we sent back in late August. From what I understand, it takes 4 to 6 weeks for some of the packages to reach them.
    Bagofwind

Answer by Bagofwind at 1:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Parents, friends, family, just keep the mail going. They need to know how much we all care and are looking forward to their return. Bless you and them.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:28 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• From my friends who have crrently deployed soldiers it is taking 2-6 weeks, it depends on where they are stationed.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:20 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• It took anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months.
    My son had a brand new laptop that was sent in his units container. It was still sealed when they got it but everything was stolen out of it.
    valkay

Answer by valkay at 1:11 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• When my DH was there, they were taking the flat rate priority boxes and he would get them in about a week. I don't know if they still do or not. But yes everyone, keep sending those packages, they really brighten their days over there!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Thank you to all you who responded. My son has only been in Afghanistan for just under 2 weeks now and I had been sending letters and he was not receiving them. As we found out today he was given an address pre-deployment and after he arrived was given another.
    Bagofwind, I am so sorry to hear about your son and I hope he is ok.
    Queenofscrap

Comment by Queenofscrap (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2010