Can someone be a taoist Christian?

I don't know much about Taoist beliefs, but I saw someone mention that they were a Taoist Christian. Are the beliefs compatible?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:26 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I dont really know anything about the Taoist beliefs but the way some decide to pick and choose what they like from different religions, I guess it would be possible.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 6:31 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• In Taoism there are many different paths of thought, and outside of the religion, it can be a pretty abstract philosophy. So, I don't see anything that would conflict.
    Anonymous

• Uh, that^^ was me. I have no idea why it's anon.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 6:41 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I haven't seen anything that would make them incompatible. I could see it as possible. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:31 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Having looked into both religions I could see that as possible...nothing massivly conflicting
    pregoagain2010

Answer by pregoagain2010 at 7:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• simple answer: Nope.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:47 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Yes. They can be meshed together. Most belief systems can.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:53 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Well taoism doesn't ever acknowledge a God, just the universe that is described interchangeably as he and she in the Tao te Ching (the "Tao te Ching" is kind of the equivalent of the taoist Bible). Taoism doesn't have the rules that Christianity has, it mainly focuses on living with a "let it be" philosophy...I like Taoism, I studied it a few years ago and it's a very peace-loving religion.
    Evansmommy91

Answer by Evansmommy91 at 7:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• yes, Tao means "the way" . Your path to your God is a personal thing, if you choose to merge christian & Taoism, then that is your Way. {Path}
    nananessa

Answer by nananessa at 8:46 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Of course you can. I don't know much about Toaism either, but I know that ANY belief systems can be merged. The basics of most beliefs are the same, and merging them really isn't hard. It simply matters how the individual sees things and what speaks to their heart...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:55 PM on Oct. 5, 2010