OMG! Firefighters just stood there and let the man's property burn to the ground...

SO I'm watching the news and a Tennessee man's property was on fire but he allegedly forgot to pay a $75 fee to the Fire Fighter Association so they are required by law to not put out the fire! OMG> This law is the craziest law I've ever heard. If I was a FF I would have put that mans fire out with or without the measly $75. My goodness!

The only reason they showed up to the scene was because his neighbor who did pay it was afraid of his property catching fire. Am I the only one baffled by this law?

SweetSmeek

Asked by SweetSmeek at 6:46 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I just saw that on World News Tonight but I read it in here a day or 2 ago. I told my hubby that they are behind a bit in the news reporting business
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:50 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• That's one of the craziest things I've ever heard! How could they do that in good conscience?!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:50 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I just heard about this. I'm way late then but it's so sad.
    SweetSmeek

Comment by SweetSmeek (original poster) at 6:54 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I have to pay $100.00 a year or my house won't be helped either.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 6:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• BUT, I did get a letter explaining all this to me...
    BradenIsMySon

• It's a terrible thing, but this is exactly what the right wingers/tea partiers want to happen. Pay as you go...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:01 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My hubby is a Firefighter an is pissed that this happened he said if a house in our area was on fire but didnt pay the fee they would still put it out , he said thats no reason to let it burn thre could have been a person or persons in there. I agree with my hubby , these Firefighters where wrong , law or no law still wrong what they did .
    davecswife

Answer by davecswife at 7:08 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• From what I understand about these kind of laws they do have to save anyone possibly inside, but they do not have to put the fire out once everyone is out safely. It is ridiculous, but it is how things are in some places.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:14 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• It is pathetic . Greedy. Heartless. I am glad I don't live there.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 7:21 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Granted they should've put the fires out and then charged him extra for not having paid the fine, BUT this man lives in the county and county fire stations don't get state funding like city fire depts so they have to get paid somehow. If the firefighters put out the flames, no one would pay the $75 fine. This is a case of someone who tried to work the system and safe a buck backfired on him...
    Evansmommy91

Answer by Evansmommy91 at 7:29 PM on Oct. 5, 2010