2 yr old unbuckling chest strap of car seat

We just got DS new carseats and he keeps unbuckling the chest strap. How do I get him to stop? He never did this with any of his other car seats so i am really confused. BTW we don't hit our child, so any other advice would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Mammoo

Asked by Mammoo at 9:36 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i once babysat a 3 yr old that would do it if i wasnt going fast enough or didnt have the radio on and they we i got her to stop (it more then likeyly wont work for you but its funny) we threatened to take away her broccolli..and she cried and got back in her seat....i dont know a way to help you but i thought it would make you laugh
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 9:39 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Spank her. Thats what I do to my 2 year old son. It works. But not all moms agree with spanking their kids.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:44 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I move the chest strap further up to where she can't really see the latch to unbuckle it. I also let her know that it wasn't safe to unbuckle it, and if something happened like I have to step on the brake fast she could get hurt.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 9:48 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• One time this is what I did. I pulled over on the side of the road and said...."OH NO WHO BROKE THE CAR???!!!" The kids looked at me funny and I said, "Someone must not have thier seatbelt on right." To this day my kids think the car has a sensor in the seatbelts. IT WORKED. :) Now, technically it is a lie, but I didn't know what else to do other then spank. And it is true, the car can't go without seatbelts fastened correctly.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:01 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• You know the little soft things that are used to put on the baby's seat belt for by their face, they like velcro together. See if you can wrap one around the clip that way he will only pull that off. I don't know if it will work but it's worth a try.
    teddybear515

Answer by teddybear515 at 10:07 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I don't know what to tell ya. My 2 yr old did it twice and i said no no and he never thought about it again. My 2 yr old niece did it a few times aswell but stopped. Not sure what my sis did to get her to stop. Good luck!
    proudmamma9706

Answer by proudmamma9706 at 10:13 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Turn it around so the button is in the back.
    Anonymous

• Suied250 that is too cute and a good idea. I'll have to remember that one.
    proudmamma9706

Answer by proudmamma9706 at 10:14 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• well my DD didnt do this until recently and we actually had a easy way out but i dont know if it will work for you...
    my step mom recently broke her leg - so when we noticed my dd unbuckled her seat belt we said "Dont ever do that because your seat belt is there so you dont get hurt ... you could get realy badly hurt and get broken bones ... and thats not fun - you will be in the hospital just like Oma."
    it hapened a couple more times but we kept telling her that she could realy get hurt and everyone wears their seat belt because noone wants broken bones
    and we also added that the police will be mad at mommy if she wasnt wearing one ...(she watches cops and knows that police take bad people away)
    she hasnt done it in a long time...
    i also think it helped that as long as she kept unbuckling while the car was moving she was not alowed to unbuckle when we stopped either!
    BTW she calls it "Buckle me out" (so cute~)
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 11:53 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• My daughter also unbuckles her chest strap. I have tried all the suggestions so far listed to no avail. (Well, I didn't threaten to take away her broccoli... but I did threaten to take away her treat - and actually followed through when it didn't work. I've tried pulling over, but on LA freeways I can't always pull over each time. She will undo and redo her chest strap frequently, like 7 times in 5 minutes. And, after slapping her hands when she undid her chest strap, she decided it was a game and started slapping her own hands and saying "no" after I would catch her undoing her chest strap.) Now, I use a strap that I took off a backpack with a non-slip buckle where you weave the strap through in addition to the clip type buckle. I wrap the strap around each of the shoulder straps close to the chest buckle. My daughter hasn't figured out how to undo this second strap...yet.

2grrlz

Answer by 2grrlz at 3:35 AM on Oct. 27, 2008