SERIOUS QUESTION! What are black people called overseas??

There's this whole thing about African Americans vs "black" over here in the US of A. But my mom brought up a good question today. What they called over in England or Italy or Germany? Are they called "african germans"? I mean, for real! Or is the color of you skin and place of origin not important?? No, I'm not a troll. Yes this is a real question. Thank you for all responses.

rosesNclovers

Asked by rosesNclovers at 7:10 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Actually I would love to know myself.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 7:12 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Well, I'm Dutch, and in the Netherlands, they're called "negers". I know it sounds a lot like "negro" or the other N-word, but it has no disrespectful meaning whatsoever. Makes it mighty uncomfortable when my dad is over and he mentions it in public though...

I don't really get the "African American" thing either, but I don't understand "Irish American" or "Italian American" either. To me, if you're born here, you're "American", period.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:13 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I'm sorry but why does it matter? The fact of the matter is.... some black people like to be called "Black" or "African American" if they are of African decent, for more PC people...and yes it's an American thing because of racism. I don't get why skin color is such a big deal still. What made you stop and think about this?
    SweetSmeek

Answer by SweetSmeek at 7:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I would like to know too! Interesting question!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 7:26 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• SweetSmeek-

Her mom asked her this. THAT is what made her think of it. I had never thought of it, but it really is a good question. I teach world cultures and I ask people all the time about certain customs in their native land. I am glad she brought it up.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:43 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Okay. So, layh41407 being that you teach World Cultures... What do people refer to black people as in other cultures?
    SweetSmeek

Answer by SweetSmeek at 7:53 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• In Argentina they are call "negros".
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:56 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• In England they are called British. In Ireland, Irish. In France, French... See where I am going with this??? ;oP
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:58 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Interesting.......
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:58 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I get the whole "everyone isn't racist like Americans" thing; whatever. But it's not being 'racist', it's simply classifying someone just like you would say "a girl with blond hair was who I saw" or "it was a tall man who robbed the bank." Saying someone is black or white doesn't have to have such negative connotations! So in a conversation would a European say "It was a german man with dark skin, but it wasn't the skin like from South America, it was the skin like from Africa"...?
    do you catch my drift?
    Evansmommy91

Answer by Evansmommy91 at 8:06 PM on Oct. 5, 2010