What is your favorite Bible verse?

Or passage from your faith's sacred writings? I only ask that you keep your answers respectful, please, if you answer.

duckigrrl

Asked by duckigrrl at 7:14 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've tried to answer this a few times before and I just can't norrow it down. I like way too many verses and passages. I think Psalms is my favorite book of the Bible but I love the blessings and promises and what Jesus said, there's just too much.

BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 7:41 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• We love because he first loved us. 20 If anyone says, “I love God,” yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. 21 And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.

I love this verse, even though I am an atheist. But when someone is using god as an excuse to harass, condemn, oppress or otherwise be un-christlike towards someone, I like to remind them of this one.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 7:51 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Matthew 7:1 & 2

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:14 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Colossians 3:12-15 (New International Version)

12Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

15Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:30 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• anything from Revelations really, but I love John 3:16, Psalms 23, and Romans 16:19

John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world that He sent His only Begotten Son, so that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life"

Psalms 23 - too long to quote it all, but I'm sure we all know it.

and Romans 16:19 - "Be excellent at what is good, be innocent of evil, and the God of Peace will soon crush Satan underneath your feet"
    shaysmommy5810

Answer by shaysmommy5810 at 8:34 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• the part about "i am the potter you are the clay"
    jdmyangel

Answer by jdmyangel at 9:13 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• All very good answers.
    One of my favorites is Isaiah 40:31
    But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles, they shall run and not be weary; and they shall run and not faint.

Other favorites of mine are :
    Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. Psalms 46:10

And now, why tarriest thou? Arise and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord. Acts 22:16
    duckigrrl

Comment by duckigrrl (original poster) at 8:07 PM on Oct. 6, 2010