How old?

How old would your kids need to be before you took them on an international trip? I am planning on taking my DD from LA to London in 2012 for a bit. She will be 3. We will be going to visit my father, and see the "Olympic Village" which will be set up when we are there.
Anyone have any suggestions on making the trip easier? Thanks :)

Mme.Langley

Asked by Mme.Langley at 7:15 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Travel

• Lots of good tips oin this website. Tips for Talking Toddlers on Long Flights

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:22 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My daughter lives over seas and travels home 2 times a year w/ her children who are now 1 and 4. They travel a lot internationally and have more stamps in their passports then they are months old. After an infant is 2 months, most countries, doctors, etc. allow them to travel. She takes a portable DVD, ear plugs, designed for the four year old. She books flights so they will 'sleep' most of the way. Keep her hydrated; book an aisle and middle seat so you do not make others get up to go to the bathroom. I would most definitely take her to see her grandfather and take LOTS of pictures, record his voice in one those Hallmark recordable books and make as many memories for her (and him) to have. It's a chance of lifetime. You have no idea what the future may bring in your life or his that might prevent such a visit in the future. Go while you can.
    Mom2MomFlorida

Answer by Mom2MomFlorida at 7:29 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Thanks for your answers. But actually we are visiting my dad (who lives 1/2 mile away) while he is teaching a summer law program in London. He stays for about 5 weeks. And since it will be right before the Olympics, there will be a lot of fun things to go see. My dad gows every year, but he invited us to go then.
    Mme.Langley

Comment by Mme.Langley (original poster) at 8:51 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• If I were visiting family, then whenever. If I were going on a big sightseeing trip, probably closer to 7 or 8, possibly older.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I think it would be great! I wish I could take my son to visit another country. I would say make sure you have something to keep her attention on te flight and try to get it maybe during the nighttime so she would be able to sleep. Good luck with everything and congrats on getting to make an awesome memory with your DD.
    Mom2Dano

Answer by Mom2Dano at 12:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Books, coloring items, music. Keep her occupied, but also let her sleep when she decides to snooze.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:17 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I took my oldest son from Michigan to Africa when he was 11 weeks old. He also went Switzerland and Africa at 1.5 years old and he and his brother went this year to Africa at a little over 2 years and the baby was 7 months. On the long haul flight your airline should have personal TVs and she will be able to watch kids programming, listen to music and play games. Bring some toys, coloring books, crayons, snacks and make sure to specify when you buy her ticket that she will need a childrens meal. Have fun on your trip!
    heatkab2

Answer by heatkab2 at 12:09 AM on Oct. 10, 2010