how can i be a better grocery shopper?

we have a tight budget and with holidays comming up i want to be able to save as much as i can, we dont do boxed dinners mainly due to salt and msg content and perseonaly i think most taste poorly, we love our veggies hubby is a meat person, iv tried coupons they never seem to get me too far ahead and also if you have any good recipies youd care to share id love it:)

juansmommy

Asked by juansmommy at 7:22 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• cafe mom has some really great crock pot slow cooker groups. Perfect for winter meals and the house smells yummy all day!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 7:27 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• well, you look through the ads for the different stores and you make your shopping list according to that. and coupons do help,especially when stuff is on sale. so i guess what i'm trying to say the best way to save money at the grocery store is to be prepared....do your research and find out who has the best deals on different things for that week.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:29 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• oh also wanted to add if you dont already own a crock pot, you can pick a good one up for about $30. They even have 5 ingredient meals,,,saves lots of money cooking with crocks
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 7:31 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• To stretch a meal (and there are many ways), I chop up vegs (usually half a medium squash and half a zuchinni of same size and a half cup or more of brocelli). I take a small steak and slice it, then lightly brown it in butter in a skillet. I remove it, use the leavings to stir the rice in (rice a rooni or no name brand). Once ready I pour in the water and seasoning mix. I do add a tablespoon or so more water as when I throw in the vegs, I want to make sure they are cooked. Cook for regular amount of time and you have a very delicious dish! You can substitute chicken meat and other vegs. It stretches the vegs and meat (oh how high it has become!).

Also, try to shop with the coupon when the item is already on sale. That is added savings right there.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 7:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Make meals with food that is inexpensive. Beans, especially dried ones, are cheap. Buy season produce that is on sale. Like right now there are squashes and apples on sale because it is the harvest time. Things like red bell peppers, avocados, tomatoes and spring mix salad are not in season and expensive.

Use lentils in place of ground beef.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I don't know where you live, but Publix doubles coupons up to 50 cents and will accept store coupons from competitors. Along with a store coupon, you can use a "manufacturers coupon" (MQ) on the same item. So, let's say that tuna (or whatever, I'm making up an item) is on sale that week for 4/$5. You use a MQ for .50, which doubles to $1.00, and a Kroger coupon for $1.00. There are other stores that do the same type of deals, you just have to look around at their coupon policies. You can do it on line. There are also plenty of websites that will list out the deals and coupons for the week. It takes some work, but if you're like us, a 1 income family, couponing can mean a big savings.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 7:37 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• when I was on a really tight budget, I would go to Biglots and buy what I could from there, and then go to winn*dixie or walmart to buy the rest, I made ALOT of spagetti and rice dishes... they really make a few ingredients seem like more... roasts and stuff like that can be your best friend, a few ingredients into a baking dish, into the oven... done and yum!
    SusieQue717

Answer by SusieQue717 at 7:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I save by buying different cheap ingredients than can be used for many dishes. Cheap ground beef, canned tomatoes, rice, noodles, frozen veggies. I know I can make soup, meatloaf, hamburgers, tacos, chili....
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:43 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I shop at Walmart,I find there price's are cheaper than Publix,Winn Dixie....I also go to the Veggy store where I live to buy my fruits and veggies, which are a lot cheaper...Try buying a lot of veggies and meat and make different stir fry dishes...
    tanya120

Answer by tanya120 at 9:14 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home
    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 9:58 PM on Oct. 5, 2010