i want to start a garden (veggies and fruits)

k, now that we own our home i really want a veggie and fruit garden, but i have no idea where to start, i live in nc. i have never garden. am a newbie any tips, what fruits and veggies are good for my region. help

piwife

Asked by piwife at 7:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Even though you are in NC as far as I know gowning seasons are over or soon will be. Planting fruit trees would be good to do now you want to plant them in the Spring or Fall. You might want to check out the Farmers Almanac online too they offer great tips. Sorry I can't be of more help but I'm in OH. :-)

~Linda
    Lindles

Answer by Lindles at 7:42 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• thanks!! my house came with a plum tree
    piwife

Comment by piwife (original poster) at 7:43 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I'd start by asking at your local nursery what zone you are in but what I would do is dig up the grass in an area and rototill that. Then it depends on where you're at you could put up a fence for rabbits etc start looking at seed caltalogs now to get an idea of what you want but always go with tomatoes corn just pick what your family likes add things to it to make the soil i always add things like my potato peels, egg shells, whatever no meat or bones though. Good luck before you know it you'll be a great gardener
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:46 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• The best place I found that has alot of info for each area is the National Home Gardening Club. You could google it or use this link: http://gardeningclub.com/ The pictures are beautiful!
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 7:48 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• yeah we have a mole and a hare in our back yard.
    piwife

Comment by piwife (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Wish I could help but my thumb is definitely not green!

Answer by older at 9:15 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Now is the time to turn the soil over and prepare the ground - let it winter over, keep the weeds from taking over and make it right for planting in the spring after the last frost - in Eastern NC (New Bern, Jacksonville, Greenville) that's usually late March, early April. Then you can plant most anything. Now is the time to plant trees though. Trees establish best when the are dormant so plant in the winter when there is more effort spent putting down roots than keeping leaves green.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:06 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• thanks i live in jville. ill get to planting. its lowes a good place to buy seeds?
    piwife

Comment by piwife (original poster) at 11:23 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• join local groups on gardenin check your local paper
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:42 AM on Oct. 6, 2010