Why is my newborn constipated and what can I do to help her out?

She is 4 weeks old. Breast fed, but gets one bottle of formula a day because I couldn't keep up with her demands. Formula she is taking is soy. She is very gassy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Against our pediatrician's recommendation, we used the old tried and true a tsp of karo syrup in bottle. Worked like a charm. And besides it is not like you need to keep giving it to them. A couple times is all it took.
    ProudMammaBear

Answer by ProudMammaBear at 9:46 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• When my son was a baby, I used a little bit of prune juice (less than an ounce) with an ounce of water. Worked great!
    crazyfun4

Answer by crazyfun4 at 10:24 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• My daughter was extremely gassy - I mean extremely. I massaged her belly a lot, with tummy oil from Weleda. You know, the spiral starting from the belly button and opening up in a big circle, and ending on the upper side of the right leg. Use two fingers. Also, circular movements on the lower back helps release the gas. Eventually she will improve. Mine is 11 months old and is not gassy at all. I give her papaya juice everyday ever since she turned 4 months. I hope this helps. Good luck...
    NatiVida

Answer by NatiVida at 10:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Suggest PEAR, or MANGO juice it will help alot I tryed with all my kids and it really did it for them.
    MommyG203

Answer by MommyG203 at 10:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• My son had this problem. His Doc told me to put 1-2 tablespoons of kairo syrup in his bottle. It worked for him!
    Mikeysmom1001

Answer by Mikeysmom1001 at 11:26 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I used to give my daughter the gas drops
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 12:50 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Keep a food diary and see if anything your eating is affecting her. Dairy in a womans breastmilk is a very common problem!
    JohnnyCakes

Answer by JohnnyCakes at 1:09 AM on Jul. 3, 2008