What causes warts? adult content

Can sucking fingers or sucking fingers with a cold sore/fever blister cause them? Is it possible?
DD sucks her index and middle finger when she isn't feeling well or going to sleep and now on the sides of them are rough raised...lumps but not lumps, looks like a swelled knuckle only on the sides of her knuckles. What do you think it could be?

YES, I know she should stop. We are working on that. for those smarta$$ anons.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 7:40 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• it sounds like what i had a while ago and it's called hand eczema. it's not a true eczema, but it's caused by your hands being wet too much. in my case it was from washing hands and washing dishes. in your daughter's case it's from her saliva. it's important not to scratch it....that will make it worse (and let me tell you it does itch). i would suggest putting a good hand creme (not lotion...hand creme is thicker). they have great shea butter or cocoa butter ones. this will heal up the rash and also discourage her from sucking on her fingers. as a side note, i used to suck my index and middle finger on my left hand every night to go to sleep. my parents took me to the dentist and he showed me a book of people with terrible teeth and braces, head gear and everything like that. i stopped sucking my fingers right away! i still had to wear a retainer though, and it made my teeth better but they're still pretty messed up lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:48 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• It may be nothing more than a little callous that is forming from the pressure she puts on it while sucking it. If that is what it is, it will go away.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:50 PM on Oct. 5, 2010