Is your child's bedroom also his playroom?

I will be moving in the next few months, and I have a three year old who will have his own bedroom (that he will actually sleep in) for the first time, and I am wondering, should I get a two bedroom or a three bedroom apartment so that he can have a play room separate from his bedroom. I will set up a family room (aside from our formal living room) so I don't know if it is really necessary. What is the set up for your child?

Luisa621

Asked by Luisa621 at 7:45 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I think it's up to your budget, and how you like your home set up. A lot of times it's nicer to have the toys in a family room if it's a more public room where you can keep an eye on things. It can be nice to have a playroom to keep the toys and books in so that they aren't all over the house. Not everyone has an option, but I think it's just a matter of what you can afford, and how you are comfortable.

Happy Househunting!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:48 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I have a 4 bedroom and two living rooms... My son has a room where he sleeps, my daughter has her room, they have a playroom and also have half of a family room. I dont like my son (hes 2, shes 2 months) to play in his room. i only like him reading and sleeping in there. It has worked out great for me, He sleeps and reads in there. I have no problems with getting him to bed. He doesnt have any toys for him to play with in there. Everyone is different. Hope you figure out whats right for you guys. :) HAVE FUN
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 7:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• i have the family room as their play room basically, but they still have toys in their bedrooms too, mostly blocks though
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:51 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My 3yo has most of his toys in his room. He no longer naps, so naptime has become independent play time. It looks like tornado alley when he's done, but a bedtime clean sweep is quick. He will play quietly in his room for a while before we wake up often. The only time it's an issue with him playing instead of sleeping is IF he cat napped during the day, which is very infrequent.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 7:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I wish I had the money for a seperate play room, but in all honestly its not truly necessary! My son is almost two and his toys are in his room. He brings out a couple things to the living room to play where mommy or daddy are, but can also play in his room when he wants.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:23 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• where we live, there is a huge difference between a 2 and 3 bedroom apartment. when we had an apartment we had toys EVERYWHERE!!!!
    With our house, the boys can only keep a few special things in their room, and the basement is for most of the toys.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• We didn't have room for a play room in a 4 bedroom house with 6 family members. The kids toys were and are in the bedrooms.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:02 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• yea
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:40 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• yep, DD's room is her playroom.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 1:07 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Honestly, I think that his room will be perfectly fine for his toys too. I wouldn't have him have your living room be a partial toy room though. It will look cluttered. Get an adult "toy box" like a storage box with a lid and an ottoman that has a top so you can store toys that are easy to toss in and cover and out of sight.
    staceybelly9

Answer by staceybelly9 at 6:01 PM on Oct. 7, 2010