house burned down while the firefighters stood by-

Here's the link -
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20101005/pl_yblog_upshot/rural-tennessee-fire-sparks-conservative-ideological-debate

He didn't pay his 75 dollar fee to cover having firefighters come if you have a fire. I'm all for rules, but you'd think you'd have the chance to write then a check while it's all burning.
maybe that's just me.

ItsMe89

Asked by ItsMe89 at 7:50 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Home & Garden

• That is so wrong, maybe he didn't have the 75 dollars to give them, so that means he doesn't deserve his house or any of his belongings? I don't think thats how it works.
    sunshineemommy

Answer by sunshineemommy at 7:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I agree that it's kind of harsh, but I can see the firefighter's point of view. Fire dept. budgets are getting cut left and right, they are short handed, and they risk they're lives for people they don't even know.....and they're not even worth writing a $75 check......would you risk your life?
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:54 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I was mainly concerned about the dangers of it all.
    they didn't even come out until a neighbor called that she was worried that it would spread to her house.
    wonder if they would have come if they said someone was trapped in there.
    ItsMe89

Comment by ItsMe89 (original poster) at 8:02 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I received a letter explaining the $100.00 fee I had to pay. It also explained that if I want then to put out any fires in my house, I better pay. They should have gotten a letter and known what to expect. Rules are rules regardless and you have MANY months to find the money. I had 6 months from receiving of letter to pay.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:10 PM on Oct. 5, 2010