For those who have had an epidural...

Did your insurance cover it, and if not, how much did they charge you?
I just found out that my insurance doesn't cover the epidural or the service to get it done(in other words they don't pay for the anesthesiologist to come and hook me up) and I wanted to know more or less how much I'd have to dish out if I were to get one.

jazi1105

Asked by jazi1105 at 7:58 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• you could always call the hospital and ask. i had to pay out of pocket (everything) for my first kid, but i ended up having a emergency c-section so that would have included them monitoring me, etc. plus i forget by now (that was 5 years ago lol).
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:00 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I dont think any insurances cover edidurals, they say its not Necessary , atleast thats what my insurance said, lol I have blue shield blue cross, threw my husbands job. with my first i think it was around $1,000 but they let you make payments if you have to. am 23 weeks now, and not looking forward for the hospital bill again :( but its worth it
    ashcrash

Answer by ashcrash at 8:07 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My insurance covered it, but even if it didn't I would have paid for one out of pocket, it's worth it!!!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 8:07 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Call the hospital and ask. It will be different for different areas.

I had one nearly 13 years ago and our insurance covered it. But that was 13 years ago.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:17 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I had one 6 1/2 yrs ago, and my ins covered it, but the price before ins, was over 2000. I think thats a ridiculous amount of money for what they do!....I would argue with the ins company if u really want it, bc its bs if they wont pay for it. Is this your 1st child? I would suggest u get it for your 1st, but if its your 2nd, u dont need it! It goes way quicker, and it is not as bad as it seems! I swear! I have done it twice without now, and your body works so much quicker without that thing, I labored faster and pushed them out faster. Im talking 1 push on the last one
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 8:28 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• yup they did. didnt have to pay anythings. ask the dr. where you will be havin baby.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:02 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My insurance covered my epidural at 90% but honestly I would never get one again. It kept me strapped to the bed, made it harder to push, slowed down labor and all kinds of other issues.

If you do want one or want to at least have the option contact the hospital and ask about a payment plan.

Otherwise look up Hypnobabies...I did this with my second child and the birthing experience was AMAZING!!!!
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 9:31 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My insurance covered everything. I didnt have to pay anything.
    BUBBLES1121

Answer by BUBBLES1121 at 9:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• bubbles...you paid
    look at your pay stubs to see how much you paid.
    look at your eob's to see what you were charged.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:17 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• my epi cost a total of $900 and my insurance got it down to $600 and then they paid for half. so i paid about $300 for it and would have paid the full price...and im extremely cheap...its worth it!

FYI i live in Oklahoma and most things are cheaper here, so you may just want to call the hospital.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2010