Calling CPS or the Health Department?

My neighbour has a roach infested trailer and has a three year old daughter. I can see the roaches crawl across the ground from mine. It's been like this way before she had kids. No one has ever called on them. When is enough, enough?

Am I being unreasonable in wanting to call CPS over a roach motel??? My husband says yes and no one else has had the guts to call. Everyone near her knows about it.

What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Calling Codes Enforcement is NOT going to cause her lose her kids unless there is something else going on that causes CPS to be involved. Its not fair to all the neighbors to have to deal with her roach problem. It IS a health hazard to everyone...including the lady w/ the bugs!
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 7:20 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I would not call, to have cps in on a minor thing is not the answer. Who is the girl's landlord? Could you spare a bit of money for bug bombs? Why not assist her instead of putting her through months of problems? I had a problem one time and no matter how much I bombed my place and sprayed and had people out there, it never stopped. I finally moved out and now am bug free. i can't imagine having to deal with cps over something I did my best to control (the problem was there long before I came). They are sometimes a pain in the rump.
    Anonymous

• Have you tried to talk to her about it? Those things are hard to get rid of... i just think it might be drastic to call CPS. Ask her if she has a problem with getting rid of them. Maybe she doesnt know what to do?
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 8:11 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I'd call the health department because roaches spread to neighboring houses (no matter how clean) and can infest a neighborhood.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 8:12 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• If MY neighbor had a roach infestation, I'd offer to help her get rid of the roaches. I wouldn't tear apart the family because of it (by calling CPS).
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:25 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Sometimes a cockroach will sense a small amount of food on the mouth or fingers of a person and they will accidentally bite while they are eating. Cockroaches will also sometimes risk crawling over a sleeping person to get to moisture built up around the eyes or the nose. The cockroach needs water to survive and if it can't find water anywhere else it might have to get it from you.
    under this circumstance yes i would call cuz the children need a safe livable environment maybe this is what the parents need to be able to CLEAN UP
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 8:13 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Everybody has been fighting it. It was okay until they sprayed and the swarm started taking over. Folks I'm not talking about a few roaches. I'm talking about you can see the line leaving their trailer heading for safer ground. They sprayed the other day, just a nest and had a pile, a dinner plate size pile six inches high of dead roaches. I kid you not, her place is disgusting. I won't let my kids in her house for nothing. Heck I don't want them playing in the yard because of the roaches!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:15 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• yes, mine was not a few either. It was horrible. I could not cook without them falling into whatever I cooked. I cleaned, oh goodness I cleaned! But the place was so bad off (and I wish I knew it before I forked over the deposits to move there!). I had to finally borrow the money and was able to get out of it. After I left I called the health dept. But cps? If you want to call anyone, try the health dept first.
    Anonymous

• I wish I could use the meter reader excuse. It's all done via wireless here.

As to helping her out...I can not afford that. She about sinks us when she sprays. It's bad enough we have to fight her roaches when they escape. She knows it's bad but she's not really willing to do anything about it. She's as broke as they come with blinders on too boot. What makes things worse is spraying every so often isn't going to solve this. She has exterminators out there and they quit on her!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• ok well she is trying to get rid of them is she had it sprayed.....just keep your house clean and have traps set just in case. other than that I dont think u can or should do anything
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 8:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2010