How can I get kids respect?

I live with my SO and his kids have always been a little much in my opinion. However it seems to be getting worse the more rules are made. They do not do their chores and they have no respect for me or for SO. I do strongly believe that most of this is linked to their mom walking out on them and not having much to do with them even now (2 years later). Any ideas on how to get them to do chores and be respectful would be greatly appreciated. The kids are a girl age 3 and right now she is not too bad but is following in her brothers footsteps rather quickly. The boys are ages 11 and 12.

gratefulangel77

Asked by gratefulangel77 at 8:11 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• It will make them behave worse for a while, but don't give in! It's a power struggle; you give in, they have all the power and they know that any punishments you give are just idle threats and that you'll give up before they do. Really, don't give up!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 8:27 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• If they refuse to do their chores, take away their TV, game consoles, phone, anything they want the most, and take it from them with the explanation that they have to earn their privileges.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 8:14 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• What PP said, but also get dad to back you up on ALL of it, so they don't call it you picking on them.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 8:15 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Dad back me 100% and we never argue or discuss punishment in front of the kids. Taking away the things they like most does not seem to help but honestly seems to make the kids behave worse.
    gratefulangel77

Comment by gratefulangel77 (original poster) at 8:18 PM on Oct. 5, 2010