Tummy time

How early did you start tummy time? For how long?

kiansmom0423

Asked by kiansmom0423 at 8:14 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Birth. Until he fussed or fell asleep. Then he went to something else or to his back to sleep.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:16 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Long term Nicu nurse here-start asap to avoid issues down the road. Those kids that you see wearing helmets are the direct result of not spending enough time on their tummy from the beginning.You think TT is difficult, try taking care of baby who has to wear a cranial helmet d/t a mishapped head- In the Nicu, we place all our tiny babies on their bellies-of course ours are on monitors 24/7 too. Start on day #1, whenever they are awake or even sleeping if you can see them at all times.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:29 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• veeeery gradually like at 4 months for veeeery short periods. she hated it! NOW at six or seven months she is gettign into it and rolling form back to tummy. but she cries when shes unable to get back to back from tummy, which they say is harder... (have to tuck headand rtoll back). just let your three or four month old sometimes get the feleig of beign on their tummy,. but they wont enjoy the curiosity of it til they "wake up" at six months, so be very gentle and just explorative with your newborn... not yet is ok. i remember my NOW seven year old was eight months old before he sat without support, and my daughter is dong the same thing. it is a vert gradual process and we have to follow THEIR lead, they are doign all the adjustign to this coldish, dry big world, and their own bodies, and stamina which is exhausting for them. it happens in little steps and we are not tryign to "get them to do" anything! enjoy each step moment
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 8:18 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• See. even the NICU nurse agrees with me. Yet, The crazy answer got a vote up. HAHAHAHA
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Thank you. I remember with my son he loved being on his tummy. My daughter doesnt seem to care either way, but how long should I keep her on her tummy? Just until she gets upset? Also do I just do it flat on the ground or with a boppy?
    kiansmom0423

Comment by kiansmom0423 (original poster) at 8:38 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I would do it either on flat or with a towel rolled up under her chest area at arm pit level. I would do it until she gets fussy with it. At least a time or two a day. It won't hurt her while she is awake.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:46 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My son is 7 weeks and we have been doing it from very early on. He's not a big fan yet so after 10 minutes or so, hes done. He has flipped over a few times, but mostly he just lifts up his head and looks around. He has got some serious neck muscles for being so little lol.
    lovebugs_mom

Answer by lovebugs_mom at 9:36 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• my son has been doing tummy time since 4 months. he could crawl then.
    BUBBLES1121

Answer by BUBBLES1121 at 9:55 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• i never "scheduled" tummy time"
    my babies were usually in my arms, so no need for any helmet, or "tummy time"
    i actually read recently that the heads will most likely round out with or without the helmets.
    if your baby spends most of his or her time in a swing, or carseat or sleeping on his or her back, then you may want to put them on their tummy whenever you think about it. it is not natural to always have a baby on their back.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:10 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I do it with my son and he is only a month old. He loves to be on his tummy!
    AshlyN.

Answer by AshlyN. at 2:45 AM on Oct. 6, 2010