Potty Training?

Hey I just wanted to know how everyone potty trained their sons...I'm a single mom and I do not get help from my ex husband....so today was day 1 of potty training and I heard that letting them go bottomless was a good idea...well my son peed on the carpet (which i though was funny) I didn't yell at him i just scooped him up and took him to the bathroom, he did not finish peeing on the toilet.....well he stayed bottomless the whole morning and i put a diaper on him for naptime...he woke up REALLY wet...in the afternoon i tried the cool alert pull ups....well he peed in there and it got cold and he LOOVED it...so i really think those will just reinforce him peeing in his diapers and i don't think i'll try them again....any ideas or stories of how you potty trained your son?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I waited until he showed all the signs of readiness. He was 2.5...I went straight to underwear. I put him on the potty to try ever 15 minutes. When he had that down and it was routine, I upped it to every 30 minutes. By day 4, he was trained.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My little brother only went outside until he was 5, even in the snow. Some boys really like peeing on the bushes.

We do EC and are teaching the sign for potty. We do baby signs.

You are totally on the right track with going bottomless. It gets easier!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:22 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I have to boys and these are a few of the things that I tried. First I took them shopping for underwear, and I let them pick out whatever they wanted. Next we got stickers, which everyones they wanted. Lastly I put a calendar up in the bath room. Everytime they went to the bathroom we would put a sticker on the calendar. After "X" amount of times, you decide how many, we would do something special. It might be going for ice cream, getting a small toy, or going out to dinner.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:28 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Well, My son and have been working on it... he doing really well. We have good days and bad days. i usually have my son naked. He seems to do a lot better this way. I still put diapers on at bedtime and nap time. If he hasnt pottied for a while I go and put hi on the toliet and he usually goes potty even if its just a little. Just encourage him as much as possible. I usually give one M&M for potty and 2 for poop. My husband is in the Army so has been gone for sometime so he sits and pottys but recently I have taught him to stand on the actual toliet and pee... HE LOVES IT! Good Luck potty training is SO SO HARD! there is no right way. Just dont get angry :) (which is so hard sometimes)
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 8:29 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Mine didn't want to sit on the potty at all, no way. I finally had to convince him (of course, when he showed readiness) that he could do this- and that it would be fun to learn. We first made a big to-do (positive) out of throwing away his diapers - he helped take them to the big trash outside. But see, it's probably easier to do when you have a big chunk of time to stay home with him, say, 4-5 days- and make sure your life is'nt going thru any big changes or moving, ect. Then, the first day, I put him on the potty every 20 mins. He was really resistant at first, which often is very normal for a toddler. Be patient with yourself, be patient with him - it's not always a smooth process. Mine had quite a while before he got #2. Kids also like to pick out their own little potty at the store, and the little underwear too. Talk him through the whole process (before you start) so he knows what to expect! HTH
    merryheart

Answer by merryheart at 8:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I let him go bottomless. It takes time, but eventually they get it.
    AshlyN.

Answer by AshlyN. at 2:55 AM on Oct. 6, 2010