Could you give birth at home alone?

Not by choice obviously. Say you just the kiddies out the door and take a shower & while bathing your water broke and you didn't realize it. Then you feel contractions but figure no biggie you have time. Then nextthing you know your crowning. Would you know what to do in that situation? Are you prepared? My biggest fear is that will happen and I won't know what to do. What do I do? What should anyone do?

reigndrops12689

Asked by reigndrops12689 at 8:25 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I would know what to do. I kinda want an unassisted birth, but, my SO wants a hospital. I want a midwife homebirth, but, his insurance probably will make me have it in a damn hospital with a doctor I will want o punch. I may kick him out of the room and do it alone. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:27 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• i would make a point not to be alone..but thats a good question
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:27 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• call 911

Answer by older at 8:28 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• oh goodness... i'd just let nature take its course!! maybe id reach down and help the child out if the cord was around its neck or something, but it woudl be ALL abotu the child coming into the world and less abotu my discomfort or gross factor... thats womans instinct i feel. i'd be proud it was happening and try to get the best outcome possible... health and life!! i'd get into a comfortable position and huff and puff and grimace in pain and try to widen my legs out ina squat and pray a LOT and probably call someone like a friend or my mother... and then cut the cord when it stopped pumpign and loosely wipe down and gather towels around the baby to keepo it warm,, place it on my chest and then let it drink from me!!! this is not a fear i had it was a challenge and beauty of an experience!! yet just a possibility. then id get to a hospital to get my child checked out!! and love it so much...
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 8:30 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• well you would call 911, but truthfully you could be passed out and your body would still deliver the baby. you don't really have to do anything much lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:30 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I think I could handle it. I had both of mine naturally, I know whats coming, and I even was able to catch my last one, so I kind of feel like I could do it if I had to, I wouldnt want to, but I know I could. You just push, while holding onto the head, when the head comes out push again until the shoulders come out grab that baby and your done. I would be more worried about how to deal with the umbilical cord and stuff. and making sure that everything was ok when it came out.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 8:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I would know what to do....I could do it. But I would call 911 first.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 8:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Ok but in this scenario the ambulance won't get there in time. Its all you. You have to do this alone. Clear the babys airway, clamp the cord and keep the baby warm.
    reigndrops12689

Comment by reigndrops12689 (original poster) at 8:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Honestly, you don't even have to clamp or cut the cord. So, that is one thing to not worry about. Kangaroo care and breast crawl...all good.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:44 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I want an unassisted birth for my next. But I've been through natural labor 3 times before (at a birth center with a midwife), I know what's supposed to happen and when to call for help.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 8:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2010