ok i need to know if im doing the right thing...

after i put my dd down for the night, she usually loses her paci at least once and starts to make noise and grunt and i can tell by her noises on the monitor that she lost the paci and is turning her head back and forth looking for it....she is 11 wks....so i go back in one, two, three times to put it back in until she falls asleep for good...is this a bad habit? should i let her try to soothe herself if she loses the paci?

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 8:51 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you let her cry for a bit to see what she does and then go in after a few? I think at 11 weeks you are not spoiling here but you need to decide how long you want to do this and start planning how to help her sooth herself. The earlier you stop habits the easier it is, on the other hand she is a baby and I don't think it's a big deal unless it is wearing you out. :)
    KaraMia15

Answer by KaraMia15 at 9:10 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• It isn't bad persay, but you really should wait until she lets you know that she wants it back before you go back in. Making fussy noises, little grunts, etc doesn't mean she's neccisarily wanting it back. She just happened to notice that it fell out of her mouth. Wait a few minutes before going in and see if she does fall asleep on her own or even finds it herself. (My daughter used to root around for it and when her mouth hit it she'd do everything she could to get it back in.) Allowing her to comfort herself, figure it out for herself is a great lesson. If after a few minutes if she gets more fussy or doesn't seem to comforted then decide whether to go in or not. My thoughts are that if she's not crying, or not making more of a fuss outside of grunts then leave her be. She's fine and will either fall back asleep or let you know that she wants it back.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:15 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I think that if she is able to you should let her at least start whining for a minute or two to see if she will calm herself.
    AshlyN.

Answer by AshlyN. at 2:41 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I would say yes cause as they get older they want to sleep with something in their mouth like my son I used to do that and now he won't go to sleep if he doesn't have it.
    krystal2010

Answer by krystal2010 at 9:57 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I say no. But, you may need to find a new paci if she can't keep it in her mouth. And pacis are known to reduce SIDS if your kid isn't nursing or in the same room to sleep.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:55 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• she CAN keep it in her mouth but my theory is that she feels herself falling asleep because the paci is soothing to her so she spits it out in an effort to wake up...then she starts to cry because she is tired and doesnt want to sleep.....motherhood can be ssoooo frustrating
    mamagee1218

Comment by mamagee1218 (original poster) at 8:58 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Oh...I see. In that case, if you have seen her suck on it just fine, then, I would not put it back. Let it go and see if she sleeps fine without it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:10 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Personally I went thru the same thing and I started at 5 months ti take it away during the day and he never seemed to miss it at night . I would say try to take it waya now that its early . but try more and morw in the daytime and if she cries give her a little spi of milk or something to soothe for a few seconds / good luck .
    kimmi85035

Answer by kimmi85035 at 12:56 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• that does sound like shes fighting sleep that's what my daughter does and shes 11 weeks old ill let her cry for a little to see what happens if she don't fall back to sleep ill go and put in back in her mouth if that don't help it cause she wants to be feed or change for me
    neonangel2188

Answer by neonangel2188 at 12:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Is she just grunting or is she crying? If she not crying, then wait and see what happens. Don't pre-emptively go in to settle a crying fit that may not come.

You want to help your daughter learn to self-soothe. If you go back in every time she loses the pacifer and she falls asleep with it, then there's the risk that it becomes the one thing she HAS to have to sleep. It would mean, basically that until you break that habit, you'd be getting up to put that pacifer back. If she wakes in the middle of the night and can't find it, you could be up finding it.

At 11 weeks if she's crying and upset, you go and you help her. BUT, if she's really not worked up? Than let her be. See what happens. It could be that she settles in on her own without the pacifer coming back. Or not.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:09 PM on Oct. 5, 2010