Do you fit into your group?

I don’t have many friends in the area where I live, I was hoping to make some when my daughter went to school – make friends with the other mommies! But as I stand there everyday, with my 3 year old, waiting for my oldest to get out of school, I find I just don’t fit in.

I’m supposed to fit in with the “Married/divorced, between 30 and 40, SUV driving, backstabbing, gossip hungry” mommies. – ICK! I sound stupid every time I open my mouth.

However, it takes some kind of military espionage to infiltrate any other group of mommies. I could live without knowing any of them, but my daughter wants to go on play dates with some of these kids so I’d like to sound somewhat intelligent.

Do you fit in with the other mommies?
Do you care? lol

Works4Mom.com

Asked by Works4Mom.com at 9:03 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Don't try so hard and just be yourself.

Answer by older at 9:06 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• you're funny! i was hoping to 'fit in' with the mommies at school and sports when ds started school and soccer, as we're new in town, and i honestly am trying to throw myself out there and meet people. eh..i'm just not a girl's girl. i never have been. i don't do the gossiping, the slamming other women for what they wore to the school play or soccer match. i don't giggle well. and i don't have a poker face, either! LOL! i can't have a conversation about my latest haircut, or who's doing who after the divorce, etc.

oh well...glad i have my friends!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:07 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• LOL so far 'myself' hasn't worked. I'm pretty sure I need to be someone else with this group! lol
    Works4Mom.com

Comment by Works4Mom.com (original poster) at 9:08 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• o boy....i just went to a birthday party from one of my son's classmates. the first birthday party (they're in kindergarten). everyone there straight up ignored me! i came in and was waiting for the mother hosting the party to finish talking to the employee so i could introduce myself and my son. she actually went around me to talk to someone standing behind me. and no, she didn't know that person, she introduced herself to them too. i finally introduced myself to her when she was done and she gave me the cold shoulder yet again. i sat down at a table with 2 other mothers while we were watching the kids play (it was a soccer party). they actually got up and moved to a different table. honestly i am a bit different than they are....they were all white and i am not. they were all considerably chubby and older than me. maybe that's why? idk but i tell you this....i'm not losing any sleep over it lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:09 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I think it is next to impossible to fit in. Women are cruel to each other. I do not even go to church anymore because of it. I heard the ladies at church, who invited me at first, totally slam another lady. I quit going soon after. As far as their friends go, I let them play but I do not even try to get close.
    Anonymous

• I don't normally fit in with the parents of my 6 yr old just bc I am so much younger than them, but I normally fit in with my almost 3yr olds parents, however.. I like to stick with my BFFS...
    gottalovemyboys

Answer by gottalovemyboys at 9:27 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• This was my today, it's probably going to take 3 posts:
    It was 5 minutes until the bell , I was sitting in our rather large pick up, talking to my sister on the phone while Keira was in the back of the truck doing who knows what!
    And I say to my sister “I‘m sure I‘ll impress all the other mommies today with my nose flaking skin everywhere thanks to my head cold and my 3 year old who literally rolled in the dirt before we left the house.”

The bell rang and I hung up with my sister, I pulled the key out of the ignition and low and behold the IGNITION CAME WITH IT!!
    There I was holding the key with a big ignition thing on it. I tried to put it back in, but there wasn’t time. I grabbed the wee one, jumped out of the truck, ran around to the front to find my oldest daughter standing beside the passenger side door sobbing!
    Works4Mom.com

Comment by Works4Mom.com (original poster) at 9:34 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• “Do you want to know WHY I‘m crying” she yelled at me.
    “Well, no hon. I need to call your father to see what I should do about the thing hanging off my truck key” Because as you may not know, the PTA is a pain in the ars and they have a fifteen thousand, four hundred and twenty-five rules when it comes to parking in “the loop” and one of those rules is that you can’t go around the other cars parked in “the loop” and at this point I’m the FIRST PERSON in the loop and no one can move because they have put double cones in the loop making it 1 lane! And the penalty for moving said cones? No one really knows, but it’s been rumored that they’ll chop off your hand!

Works4Mom.com

• So as I’m calling my husband, my 6 year old has ignored the fact that I told her I’m calling her father and is whining about a purple doll she doesn’t want to share. And as I’m leaving a message for my husband, my daughters teacher walked up behind me and starts talking about why Riley is crying, which I could have guessed why she was crying long before even Riley opened her mouth - she doesn’t want to share and she wants everything her way and she doesn’t understand why everyone doesn’t see it her way!

Works4Mom.com

Comment by Works4Mom.com (original poster) at 9:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• As I’m talking to the teacher, who by the way is about the same height as I, I realize that I have to move the cones and get people around me because the traffic is now backing up into the street. The conversation with the teacher continues OVER THE BED OF OUR HUGE TRUCK which neither of us can really see over as I move the cones and start waving people around me with the key which still has the ignition switch thinking still attached!!!!
    Works4Mom.com