How do you deal with your ex and kids?

I'm trying to be decent and I'm being nice to my ex about the kids. I've been told I'm being too nice, and should be more of an a-hole and assertive. I don't want him and he doesn't want me...i'm not one to make waves unless provoked and we are both being decent about the kids...how are you "supposed" to act when dealing with an ex? I have no clue wtf or what i'm doing...help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• My ex at first was upset and cocky but I just gritted my teeth and told I'm sorry that he felt this way. One time he wouldn't calm down and I flipped on him and told him "You know what!? I don't like you and you don't like me, right? Well none of that matters anymore because we are divorced and we still have to deal with each other and raise our child together whether you like it or not, so you can either make it hard and be pissed off all the time or you can make the best of it for not only our child but for ourselves because like it or not...we are stuck dealing with each other FOREVER!!!!". That got the point across and we now get along better than we did when we were married. Hope this helps. He has to realize that it's not about you or him anymore...it's about the child and only the child.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 12:21 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I know parents that aren't together that take care of their kids as if they were together. Because that's what the child needs, two parents, together or not.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:31 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• You are supposed to be an adult and get along. Why make things difficult when there is no need to?/ He is the father to your children.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 9:24 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• what you are doing is right. Getting along together is best for the kids. My ex and I dont even like each other but we do manage to speak and act civilly for odds sake. We even attend her soccer games together without any incidents.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 9:37 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Well, you should both be civil & make decisions together about your kids. Why do you think your doing it wrong????
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 1:30 AM on Oct. 6, 2010