How do you make hard boiled eggs??

Like any tips on how to boil them to make the shell come off easier?? Ok and yeah Im pretty clueless about the whole process all together. :-/ but am super craving hard boiled eggs!

anikahaynes1

Asked by anikahaynes1 at 9:30 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I've researched and experimented with this, here is the fool proof method. The above poster is correct, you need to use older eggs, eggs that are getting within a week or two of the expiration date on the carton. Place the eggs in a pan and fill the pan to about an inch above the eggs with COLD water. Put the eggs on to boil. Once you get a good boil, take the eggs OFF the heat and cover for 10-12 minutes. After that time, cool them down with cold water. If you are doing egg salad or deviled eggs and want them all peeled at once, do it while they are still warm, the peels will come right off. Otherwise, stick them in the fridge to be peeled whenever. Start by cracking the fat bottom side, that is where the air pocket is and you can get in there good.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:43 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• this is how i do it - put the eggs in a pot of water first and then bring to a boil on the stove. i never really notice how long until they're boiled, probably a good 10-15 minutes after they start boiling. and the simplest way i know of to get the shell off, let the eggs cool in a pot of cold water, then crack them and let them run under cold water, and peel. it usually comes off in one big peel that way. good luck and yummy!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Boil them in water with a little salt for about 8 minutes.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• put water and eggs in a pot at the same time. Put them on high heat. When they start boiling boil them for 7 minutes. Then when they are done you put the entire pot in the sink and run cold water over them.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Put your Eggs in the water first & Add about a Teaspoon of Salt to it- Then Boil on High for about 15 minutes- They will peel very easy! Good Luck!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 9:34 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Slowly bring to a boil, start on low until the eggs warm up, then turn up and boil for 9 minutes. remove and add cold water to pan. drain water after a couple of minutes and repeat, adding cold water. leave water in pan and take an egg out, while rolling, hit eggs on counter to help peel shell. Place back in pan and peel while keeping them in water. - they peel the best while still warm,
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:36 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• the shell comes off old eggs easier than fresh ones. there is more air inside the older eggs and the shell will not stick. i just boil them in a pot of water (put them inwhen the water is cold lol) for about 10 min., and then peel them under cold water. works everytime
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:37 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I put my eggs in a pan and cover them with cold water. I then bring them to a full boil, put the cover on the pan, remove them from the heat and let them set for 20 minutes. I set the timer. I then drain off the hot water and cover them with cold water and let them set until they are pretty well cooled. I then peel them under water or under slowly running water. It's the best method I've found in almost 46 years of cooking.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:45 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I second (third) the motion to use older eggs. ;-) The fresher they are, the more of a nightmare it is to try and peel them! I make deviled eggs for almost every family gathering, and I tell you what, I have ruined A LOT of perfectly good eggs just because they were fresh from the store when I boiled them.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 9:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2010