Rural Tennessee fire sparks conservative ideological debate... your thoughts?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20101005/pl_yblog_upshot/rural-tennessee-fire-sparks-conservative-ideological-debate

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 9:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The fee pays for the availability of the service. He did not pay for the availability. When they all pay, the rates are lower and the service arrives when needed. You cannot fail to pay your life insurance premium, die, then call them and say " Yeah, I meant to pay"...doesn't work that way. If his house had not caught on fire, the bill would still be unpaid. Pay your bills people, all of them. I wonder if his burning house had internet and cable, and junk food in the fridge? too bad, so sad.
    If people only paid the fee when the house caught on fire, the fee would run around six grand. Duh.....
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I couldn't have just watched someone's house burn down..fee or no fee. However, I do tend to agree with Sisteract. I can't feel sorry for him because he didn't. Fire departments such as this one don't have the benefit of tax revenue. The bills have to get paid somehow or there is no fire dept for anyone. IMO, $75 doesn't seem all that much.

I can't see how this is causing a "conservative debate" though. Conservatives tend to lean toward being RESPONSIBLE..of course he may lean so far right that he sees the "fire dept" as evil govt intrusion.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:23 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I'm sure, if they would have put out the fire and charged him more, he would have become the spokesperson on the importance of paying the fire fee!
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 9:58 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I think in the future, the city or county can amend that clause to where the person who does not pay the fee has to pay the entire bill. Kind of like going into an ER without insurance. You'll get billed for everything, but you will also get treated. Then if that individual does not pay, the county can put a lien on the house or whatever to get that money.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:01 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• He gambled and lost. He should have paid the fee. He can not complain- he exercised his free will and decided the $75 fee was too high. I hate when people refuse to take responsibility for their own decisions; play the blame game.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:46 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• He said he is a conservative with Librtarian leanings. How does that figure? WHat is he trying to say about being conservative,etc. I don't get it.
    Because I hate to see destruction and hate to see people value the almight dollar above all else....I refuse to agree that the Fire Department had the right to let the home burn down.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:51 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I am appalled that the fire dept. let this home burn! They could have fined him but to just stand there and watch it burn, because he didn't pay $75.00 is crazy! Why did they bother wasting their time and the expense that it took to go there?
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:58 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• So many possible parables that could relate to this story. It's all just a shame. Humanity has lost to politics.
    jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:24 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• He knew the law, it was a gamble. I feel for him, however, it was a decision he made and would like to blame the process for it.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 10:53 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• That was just sick. Of course he should have paid, but to stand there while someone's house burns down, when that is in fact your job. You have the means to put it out. Those people should be ashamed of themselves. I'm "conservative." I believe people should be responsible for themselves, but that was sick. They could definitely have a written policy that if they do have to put out a fire and the person didn't pay the fee, then they have a much larger fee.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 10:09 PM on Oct. 5, 2010