Home Alone..

Schould a 10yr old be able to stay home alone when they come home from school?

tanya120

Asked by tanya120 at 9:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Depends on the individual kid. My son could...BUT, not only was he WAY mature for his age, I worked with him for MONTHS before I left him alone. Including small doses of time to work up to it. The neighbor knew he was there and so did family nearby. I also left him with a HUGE binder of info that we went over everyday and memorized.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:41 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• me and my sister were home by ourselves for a little bit at that age. iwould say we were home for half a hour to a hour. just got a snack and did our homework lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• That greatly depends on the child. If that child is responsible and you can trust them fully then sure. Trusting them fully includes following the rules, not letting strangers into the house, knowing where the emergency numbers are and how to use them, etc. If they're responsible then I don't see why a 10 year old couldn't. If you doubt them or don't think they're ready then don't do it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:45 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Depends on how the child would be in an emergency and if a stranger came to the door or called.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:19 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I am not sure I would feel comfortable with that. Is there any after school program at his school? The YMCA also has one. Good luck!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 10:48 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• It depends on the child & how close your neighbor is. In my case my neighbor is like right there and our doors are in sight of each other. She is also a retired woman who is always looking over and checking up on things. so i would feel really comfortable depending on how mature the child is.
    aangelmommie03

Answer by aangelmommie03 at 10:58 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• yes! By miliary housing standard they can be home alone up to 4 hours!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:43 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I think they should be able to but the way kids are raised now a days most aren't mentally or emotionally ready to be alone at 10 because they are so sheltered and catered to.

My oldest is 10 and has spent several afternoons alone while we ran errands with the other kids and twice all 3 of the older kids (10, 9 and almost 8) stayed home alone, once with the 4yo, too, while I went to the store.  My kids are very independent and have been learning how to take care of themselves and be responsible since they were toddlers.  I trust them and know they can handle being alone for a few hours if need be.  They actually behave better when I'm not here because they don't want to lose the privilege.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:18 PM on Oct. 6, 2010