Stray Cat

If you "adopted" a stray cat would you give it a collar and id tag? He has been showing up at my house every night for 2 months, so I started feeding him. Well, now my children are attached.. so I want to "claim" him but I don't know if that is appropriate.

gottalovemyboys

Asked by gottalovemyboys at 9:41 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Pets

• if you want to do that you have to get him his shots.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I would not give an outdoor cat a collar or tag. It could get caught on something in the woods and the cat could die of thirst. And the tag would make noise so it couldn't catch mice. You should get it shots to protect it from rabies and such. Personally, I bring them inside and give them a bath. Then I give them an option of inside cat or indoor/outdoor cat.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:45 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Yes, I would. But I would also have the cat microchipped. If I know for sure it is really a stray. I have adopted many off the streets. Make sure you get the cat to the vet for vaccines, neutering and deworming. You should also have him tested for feline aides and leukemia
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:53 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• you should take him to your local animal shelter or a vet and have him checked for a chip first, he may just be lost. If he is not chipped and you still want to keep him I would recommend getting him tested for feline luekemia and get his shots and you will also want to get him fixed. dont put a collar on him if he is going to be an outside cat as the previous poster mentioned.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:05 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• It is Appropriate but, your new cat is probably not going to like wearing one- I would call some Cat Rescue groups in your area; they will probably help you out with the shots & spaying- sometimes, they will do it for free when you take in a Stray! Wishing you lots of luck!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 10:07 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My mom adopted strays, and they had no problem wearing a collar. Get him checked for a micro chip. Check his ears for mites, a lot of strays have mites. Try to get him to be a house cat if you can. It keeps him safer. Get him neutered and vaccinated. Strays can carry disease.And the world doesn't need anymore free kittens.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:15 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I would adopt it as an outdoor cat. Indoor cats ruin your house, at least mine do!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 1:38 AM on Oct. 6, 2010