i know this probably sounds sooo lame...but...

i have NEVER been trick or treating, (im 27),and my whole life my family has always just gone out for dinner, so that we avoid all the trick or treaters..and when we come home, we dont turn lights on to make sure kids never came to the door.. this year i want to take my daughter (6yrs)...so what exactly happens...what time is best? do i stand at the door with her? wait at the side? anything else i should know????

alexis_06

Asked by alexis_06 at 10:11 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Holidays

• That is so sad! I am sorry you had to miss out on such a fun part of childhood. As for times, it depends on your city...times and date are usually listed in your newspaper or you can call the police department and find out. You get her a cool costume and a trick or treat bag. Take her house to house (preferably to people you know and trust) and ring the doorbell or knock, when the person answers, she says, "Trick or treat!!" and thank you!!! Take lots of pictures. It will be so much fun. After she is done, check all her candy. If any are torn, etc throw them out. HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:15 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Well if you have never been trick or treating I suggest you try the mall it is a lot safer and its only like an hour or two. You can look at simon malls website. When you go through the neighborhood its colder and sometimes there could be dangerous people out. I would look up trick or treat safety plus you could trust the candy from the mall.
    Mixedmami78

Answer by Mixedmami78 at 10:14 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• yaa..we have done the mall for the last 3 years...i wanted to try the neighborhood this year tho
    alexis_06

Comment by alexis_06 (original poster) at 10:15 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My dd is eight and last year is the first year I didn't walk up to the door with her ( I stood on the walkway close enough to see and hear, but far enough to not "bug" her). Time depends on your neighborhood. I used to live in a place that posted flyers with time segments (usually fourish to sixish) I suggest going for an hour or so before and to sunset... My current neighborhood goes for a few hours after sunset, but the sun sets a little earlier than most places (seattle area...) and there are a lot of highschoolers here. On a side note, last year after I was done trick or treating with dd, I started drinking, ran out of candy for the highschoolers so thought it would be a good idea to hand out some coloring books I have from work. I woke up to four smashed pumpkins and a hangover. Lol.
    stringtheory

Answer by stringtheory at 10:27 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Just make sure you only go to doors that have a porch light on. That is the universal sign that lets you know who wants to be bothered and who doesn't. I would suggest going at 6-7ish...maybe even 5 since Halloween is on a Sunday this year. Just look out and when you see kids running around then go for it!
    As for standing at the door, whatever you are comfortable with...I see most parents standing close to their smaller children.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 10:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I so hate that you missed trick or treating when you were a kid!! I loved it!! I couldn't wait to get a COOL costume and go trick or treating... I guess thats why i love it so much 2day.... lots of trick or treating tales, but as for your question.... a lot of places don't have trick or treat on halloween, or the weekend, my city thinks its tooo dangerous and the highschoolers are well how do i put it.... may be experimental with some tricks... so be sure to check for dates and times!!! I hope you have a great time.. we start out in the car and go to houses we are familiar with, my child is somewhat shy so he wanted me to walk to the door with him, but he got to ring the doorbell!!!
    Jacquie F.

Answer by Jacquie F. at 11:56 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• For starters, it you want to go to houses, pick only the people you know. Our mall used to have a trick-or-treating on Halloween, but there is very little there. Some churches now have something called, "Trunk-or-Treat." A lot of people get together at a church and ensure that the children have a safe Halloween. You walk around to the cars (people are usually standing at the trunk where they have there goodies), just stand off to the side and wait for your child to come to you. There are a lot of options for Halloween these days.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:28 AM on Oct. 6, 2010