Celexa or birth control to help keep hormones in check??

I went to the doctor & she diagnosed me w/ PMDD. My symptoms were: feeling overwhelmed, short temper, lack of patience, fatigue, just an overall feeling of being mad, have gained 15+ lbs & started biting my nails. I said I wasn't interested in going back on birth control. DH had a vasectomy so it seems wasteful. However my period is very heavy. So, it wouldn't be a huge deal to get on the pill & is something I have contemplated in the past. I started self medicating w/ alcohol & this just isn't a path to go down. She did bloodwork & my thyroid & chemistry are fine.
She prescribed 20 mg ( I can increse to 40mg after the first wk) of Celexa for a YEAR. I came home & started researching it & was very frightened by the horror stories of personal experiences but uplifted by the positive stories.
I am scared to go on it after reading that & the side effects.
Should I: try birth control help or start the RX?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Health

• Going on Yaz birth control really helped my moods, flow and cramps. I tend to get panic attacks when I have my period and have severe mood swings but on Yaz, it is few and far between and my periods are really light and about 2 days long.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:17 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• oooooooo, I tried Celexa and just one 10mg pill made me violently ill for 3 days! .....of course every person is different. If you were on birth control before and it helped, I would suggest trying that first!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:26 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Celexa has really been GREAT for me, and I've been on several others and this seems to work although I also take trazadone for anxiety..
    safgirl

Answer by safgirl at 10:36 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Celexa is usually prescribed for depression. Birth control is more for the hormones in your body. If your period is heavy, I would go with the birth control. It may help your flow. It's also possible it is a combination of both. Talk about the possibility of taking both and see how things work out.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:19 AM on Oct. 6, 2010