what do i do to a 14 year old who knows it all

he never has homework . "done at school" so i gave him some to do. 45 minutes later he hasnt touched it."he's reading".ask him to get it done now. 15 minutes later he's done. it should have taken at least 45 to an hr. "I copied the answers from the back" he says. how do i begin to count down how many ways this is wrong? and what do i do and say to him that would be mature and insightful when all i wanna do is ring his cocky little attitude?

dolphinprieto

Asked by dolphinprieto at 10:55 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Does he make good grades in school?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:57 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• If he really did do his work at school and his grades are up to par.... I really see no need to have him do extra work. I have a 13.5 yr old boy and I send him out side to run and play with his buddies if he doesnt have homework. Boys NEED to move and get all that angst out in a healthy mannor.

However, if his grades are poor and he is lying to you then you need to lay down the law. If he isnt listening to you then dad needs to go alpha male on his butt.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 10:58 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Start recording what he or she says and play it back it works!
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I was going to say the same thing as sahlady. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• my sd is 13 and is sayin the same things about hw..i gave up with her school work and told her hey you pass ur grade good for you if you dont soo sorry...there comes a point in time where you have to let them be know it alls and when all their blocks come tubblin down see who is the first person they call..then you say well what happened to your big nice smart mouth and attitude..apparently you are not as grown as you thought...my sd did eventually pull her grades together and has yet to fail leaving me to know my sarcasim worked...and it works with other situations too...ignore them act like its no big deal and they will normally get the hint..they hate nothing more than for parents to be RIGHT!! LOL good luck and hang in there
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 11:00 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• yes his grades are good. he always does just enogh. never studies never brings home anything. I know good grades should be enough , but i want him to put forth the effort, he would make top grades if he did.
    dolphinprieto

Comment by dolphinprieto (original poster) at 11:09 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I am sorry, my daughter has always been like that. BUT, she has a learning disability & low self esteem. Maybe get him a tutor????
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 11:47 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• It would all depend on grades for me. my 17 yr old son after all these years has finally realized that doing homework that he can get better grades and not having to go to summer school. He went this past summer and I really think that his teacher made a big difference in his attitude towards his school work. My God Bless this woman! She changed my son for the better, I don't know what exactly she did but it definitely made a big difference. Since he does his homework now, and it counts for a certain percentage of his grade, it has definitely gone up. I hope things work out for you.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:03 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• If he is passing...I would say nothing and not give extra work. Maybe he is like that because you "assign" extra work. If my son made passing grades...I wouldn't worry. He will start to do better I am sure if you backed off a bit.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:05 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I have to agree with Sahlady, if his grades are good, assignments are being handed in on time, and the work is done school, giving him extra work is really not necessary. Giving him extra is also not going to encourage him to put in more effort, he is going to resent it and you and become upset (like he already is doing). Boys absolutely need time to not only relax but time to enjoy themselves. After school my boys participate sports, when they come home we have dinner and talk about the day.
    I would suggest maybe talking to him about your concern which is his not putting in more effort. Explain to him why the extra effort would be important, and then tell him its his future, his life but you'd encourage him to make the best choice possible for himself to meet his goals and expectations to be exactly who he wants to be. I'd also tell him how people are perceived when they do their best or when they do.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:50 PM on Oct. 6, 2010