how do i get my son to sleep on his own?

we just moved for the first time and my son justturned 3 and now i cant get him to stay in his own bed. i understand it can be scary in a new house so i bought him nightlighs thinking this would help, but he still wakes up and crawls into my husband and i's bed. if i shut his door when he wakes up just about every night, he screams till one of us put him in our bed.

Jessika G.

Asked by Jessika G. at 11:03 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had a similar problem with my toddler and his toddler bed...when we switched from his crib to toddler bed he was not happy, well every time he would wake up I would go in his room and lay down in his toddler bed with him until he was asleep.....now trust me it's not the most comfortable thing in the world and I was a achey but after 2 nights he trusted his toddler bed and he rarely comes in my room now unless it's morning and hes awake for the day :)
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 11:07 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• at this point im willing to try anything for some sleep lol
    Jessika G.

Comment by Jessika G. (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• put him back in his bed and sit with him for a while.
    AshlyN.

Answer by AshlyN. at 2:54 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I think you have to try to figure out if its because he really doesnt like the room period or if its just habitual and he wants to come in with you guys. Does he have a problem being in his room at other times, does he play in there with no problem etc??? if you think its the room maybe you can start playing in the room with him during the day or at other times other than bedtime and just spending some time in there together to make him feel comfortable in the new surroundings etc.....if its habitual, if it were me I would be consistant with putting him back in the room and I would let him cry it out, it should only take a couple of nights if that to break the habit, once he realizes your not coming to let him in your room it should subside.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 6:04 AM on Oct. 6, 2010