i'm currently dating a man I've known since we were 15, and he's black and I'm white, no issue to either of us. I want to know how anyone else will deal with others not being supportive

heartofgold408

Asked by heartofgold408 at 11:15 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• since there is absolutely nothing wrong with interracial dating just continue to act in that truth. my dad's family was totally racist when i was growing up but were surprisingly accepting of my non-white daughter (also born out of wedlock, gasp!) and the mixed race (black/white) i was briefly engaged to. people might surprise you. just remember you don't need to explain nor defend yourself... THEY'RE the ones with the problem. don't buy into letting anyone else drag you into their personal drama.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Who cares they don't live in your house and its your life just do it!!
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:16 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Don't listen to anyone who is unsupportive because of your racial differences, period. That's unacceptable behavior and anyone who acts that way has their own problems that they need to work out.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 11:17 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Just live your life as long as both of you are happy there will always someone being negative so you can't please everybody...so what. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:17 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• you must realize you aren't in 1972 here. It's so commonplace and accepted..... I mean there's so many other things people can/do/will judge and give dirty looks for. Relax, love :)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:19 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Dh is white and i'm black and I remember the looks on everyones faces when they put 2 and 2 together. This from all the same people who said that the color of someones skin should never be an issue. But dh and I have been together now 9 years. 4 kids later and we could care less about what other people think. Living your life to please others is not the way you want to live your life. Do what makes you happy.

BTW I agree with figaro8895 completely!!
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 3:35 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• In my life, no matter what it is people choose to be unsupportive of, I just won't have the person in my life. That simple.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:29 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I have that type of issue with my relationship (I am Mexican my SO is Ukrainian). I brush it off the best I can. They can all... kiss it. :) If your happy then that is what matters.
    AugustMidge

Answer by AugustMidge at 11:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I would not worry about it if it doesn't bother you. My SO is black and we just don't make a big deal about it.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• To hell with people who think it's wrong to be a mixed couple. My sister was part of one and they have a son. One of my favorite and most inspiring friends is in one and they have two beautiful kids. I think it's great when more mixed couples come out. It shows that we're not afraid of what we were fifty years ago.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:00 AM on Oct. 6, 2010