How much TV should a 14 month watch?? Any Advice

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son wakes up at around 8 and he watches his cartoon shows until 12:30 (mainly in the background while he plays), and then he has lunch and a nap. from then on if the tv is on, it's mommy's shows.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:44 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Technically - none.
    In the real world - as little as possible. I'd say no more than 30 mintues a day and pick your show wisely. Baby sign language or other vocabulary boosters are great.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:49 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I agree with kaycee14... in a perfect world infants shouldnt watch any tv. It actually overstimulates them. Their little brains cant comprehend all the screen changes, and how quickly they are done. It overwhelms them. For kiddos that have issues (ie- autism) it often times throws them off.
    adoptivemommy24

Answer by adoptivemommy24 at 12:18 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Hehe. I'm a bad mommy. DS didn't watch ANY television until recently. He turned 2 last week. Now we have Disney on from 7:30 (after The Wiggles... I hate them) until noon. He doesn't usually pay attention to it, but he does stop occasionally and comment on what's going on with the shows. Then we have lunch and a nap. No TV until 5. Yo Gabba Gabba on Noggin. (Found that by accident-- it frightened me at first.) And that's it. Hm. I fail.
    AaronsMommy1015

Answer by AaronsMommy1015 at 12:20 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I try to limit my sons tv to an hour or two a day. I let him watch 2 episodes of baby einstein each day (one in the am, one in the pm- before nap and bedtime). When these shows are on he laughs at the tv and really gets into the episodes. I have an einstein puppet that i will play with when the shows aren't on and he LOVES it.
    My fiance is the one whose TV needs to be limited. when he is alone with our son, he has the TV on all the time.
    I feel guilty about all the TV that my SO lets him watch, so i have began turning off the tv. SO is getting used to it... baby doesn't miss the tv at all (but still loves it when it is on)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:45 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• DD watches one maybe two episodes of Sesame Street per day.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:49 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• My tv is on all day, my 16 mo old is my youngest, and his older sisters want to watch tv now that it has turned cold and they can't be outside all day. I have my tv on disney, nick, or noggin all day. And I have to say except for when there is a song on, DS doesn't pay attention to it. And my girls will watch a couple shows, but don't really pay attention to it either.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 9:21 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• NONE. it's not healthy. Try books.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Pretty much the only time my 2 year old wants to watch TV is around bedtime, and then he only wants Spongebob. I know it's not good for educational purposes, lol, but it gets him to sit quietly and he falls asleep. He MAYBE watches 1-2 episodes, and we have to DVR it in order for it to be on at the right time.
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 12:40 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• The APA has been pretty clear in recent years that children under the age of 2 should not watch TV at all. Even the presence of a television for background noise is bad for their attention spans. Try music instead.

jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 1:31 PM on Oct. 25, 2008