Do you think you should go "all out" on birthday parties each year?

How do you do birthdays? I am coming up on my daughter's next week. I have a sister that only allows her kids a fancy big party every 4 years. I think that is being lazy. Growing up we were allowed a big party every other year.
What are your thought?

Jambo4

Asked by Jambo4 at 11:24 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Big deal...every year!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:25 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• As the youngest of 8... we didn't have a whole lot of big birthdays...as a single mom... each and every single birthday is gifreakinnormous!!! I go all out for each and every one! :)
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 11:27 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My kids get a big family bash every year. I love planning their parties.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:30 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• We don't do all out parties and the kids survive just fine. I'd rather have the money we'd spend on the big 'to-do' to do something special as a family or on a gift they really want. This year, for example, my son picked two friends to join us at a bounce gym they all love. Last year he took three friends to a pirate ship cruise. My DD has taken a limited number of friends to Build A Bear. This year we did a "fancy dress-up tea party" at home. Of the 6 girls DD invited....6 came up to me at various times (totally independent of each other) to tell me it was the best party they ever went to. Several of them asked their mom's to do the same for them on their birthdays - it wasn't all out. It wasn't huge. It was simple and sweet and the girls LOVED it. If big, bash is what you're kids want and you can afford it, then go for it. But it's necessary.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:30 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• No---just a few close friends and cake and ice cream and a few cute games at home. That is all the kids need and want.
    BIG parties are for the parents...it has become a "competition" to see who will give the best party. @@ How shallow.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:31 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I used to go all out until no one came now I just have a small party for them.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• well I do not go all out ever. My kids have parties every year. But I am on a budget so I am careful about what they have and where they are at to save money. I really think for people it depends I mean on the years they don't do stuff are they at least doing small get togthers. There is nothing wrong with small gatherings. We tend to do either pizza or park parties. I always get the kids a few gifts and I would skip all their parties for a yr if it meant a real vacation! But they may not agree...LOL I never got alot of parties as a child so compared to me they get real nice parties. I really think its dumb to spend hundred and hundreds on a bday party especially every yr.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:34 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I think you do what you can afford and what works best for your family. We just mainly throw family parties. Haven't had anyone outside of family (and a couple of friends) to invite.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 12:06 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I don't think a child NEEDS a huge b-day party each year. To be honest, I don't plan on throwing too many parties for my two year old! On her second b-day, dad and I bought take out and the three of us had a nice quiet dinner at home. Then we had a b-day cake and she opened a few gifts. I think the b-day of the child should be acknowledged, but why throw huge parties?
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 1:51 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I do just to make them feel special;
    AshlyN.

Answer by AshlyN. at 2:27 AM on Oct. 6, 2010