Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How does someone apply for food stamps? I'm married & now that I'm not working it's getting really tight , I would appreciate any advine Thanksyou all


Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (15)
  • Allaboutkeely...I knew as soon as I read this question that there would be someone like you answering. She didn't say anything other than "now that she's not working" - which could be due to any number of reasons. You didn't answer her question. She didn't ask for advice - she asked how to apply for food stamps. Answer the question or move on, because regardless of what you were "trying" to do, you weren't helping.

    Answer by DusterMommy at 11:54 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

  • Go to your local Department of Human Services and apply.

    Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:38 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

  • As southerncharmes said, go to the Human Services Department office in your county and they will give you all the forms you need to fill out and tell you what you need to do.

    Answer by sophiafarris at 10:39 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

  • social services can also help you in many ways

    Answer by bigtrucksgirl at 10:39 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

  • You can google "How to apply for food stamps in XX" (xx being the name of your state) and it should take you to the correct site =] In North Carolina, I go to the Department of Social Services. I was really nervous and embarrassed and was scared it would be a huge hassle...but it was actually very easy and as long as you're nice and courteous, the workers will be as well. There are some scary people at DSS and I'm sure they find it refreshing when a nice person comes in O.o

    Answer by caitxrawks at 10:45 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

  • When you go -take with you proof of income, ALL bills, Birth certificates and Social Security cards for each member of the house, copy of mortage or lease. That should help the process go faster and easier for you.

    Answer by babipeanut at 10:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

  • Is there a reason why you can't work? Sounds like to me that you may need to go out and get a job. A second income would be able to provide you with more of a cushion so that you aren't going hungry and needing governmental assistance.

    Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

  • Go to your local Department of Human Services and tell them your situation, then they'll give you the papers for that so you can apply. you can also do it threw mail if you dont have the patience of waiting in super long lines and it gets extremely crowded in there with brats and trashy people so good luck! i send my hubby when its time to do the renewal and we got to go in person because i dont have the patience of waiting forever with all those people.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

  • There was a time that I was 20 years old single, with one child and working 2 jobs while going to school and barely making it. The ONLY assistance I was getting was WIC I went to apply for food stamps and they said I made too much money!!! But you know what I made it my own way, I paid my own rent, utilities, food except for milk, cheese and beans that WIC provided. I'm sure you can make it on your own if you work as well.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

  • well first find you local courthouse...enter...ask...

    Answer by americansugar80 at 10:55 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN