is it safe to have a glass of wine in your third trimester?

bf and i cant agree on this one...he says yes i say no. what does everyone else think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Yes. My midwife and OB both told me it was safe to have a glass of wine every once in a while during pregnancy....especially once you are in your third trimester because the majority of the fetal development happens early on.
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 10:48 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• seriously? i'm not saying your wrong but i've never heard of anything like that. i wouldn't do it but thats just a personal choice.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 10:53 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• It's probably safe...but DO NOT do anything you don't want to do. Even if people say sushi is 'safe sometimes' doesn't mean I'm going to go and gobble up a whole bento box. If you can wait until after you deliver, please do.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:55 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Everything I have heard and read says it is ok... one glass won't hurt.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 11:07 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• NO!! Good grief. I know not everyone will agree, but I've done more than one paper/project on this in college.
    NO amount is proven safe. What could be absolutely fine for one pregnant woman to drink, may not for another. So one cup could be fine. 3 could be fine. half a cup could not. ECT, you just don't know.
    Why take the risk?? I could have taken a sip of my hubby's the other day. And while that's an absolute minsiscule amount that probably wouldn't amount to anything, I wouldn't want to take that risk. look up Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. Educate yourself.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 11:19 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• i think its safe to have A drink near the end of pregnancy - but i dont think that its something that you cant live without for 9 months just to be sure your baby is healthy as it could be...
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 11:35 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Compared to the many of studies that have shown that there is no way of knowing if you can have alcohol during your pregnancy, there has only been one that says red wine is alright. Some doctors, midwives, and O.B.'s have run with this. There is no way to prove that it is alright for everyone. Why take the risk for a glass of wine?
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:47 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I have done it. People in Europe drink all the time while pregnant and have perfectly healthy babies but they drink red wine and do it with meals. That's the key. Most OBs and midwives will say it is ok to have ONE glass everynow and then. The reason they say none is because if you give some women an inch they will take a mile.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:54 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Not safe.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:41 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I had A glass of wine once iin a while when I was pregnant with my son. I only had it with a meal and I also drank water with the meal. If your ob or doc says that it is ok, go for it. Just realise that there is no definitive studies on whether or not it is actually safe. It is all up to your comfort.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 5:19 AM on Feb. 17, 2010