how do i get my son to sleep in his own bed!

we just moved for the first time and my son justturned 3 and now i cant get him to stay in his own bed. i understand it can be scary in a new house so i bought him nightlighs thinking this would help, but he still wakes up and crawls into my husband and i's bed. if i shut his door when he wakes up just about every night, he screams till one of us put him in our bed.

Jessika G.

Asked by Jessika G. at 11:40 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you put him back in his bed? Right now he gets up, he comes in, he gets to stay. it's an acceptable thing in his mind so why change it. When he gets up and comes in, reassure him as you escort him back to his room.

My two are older - not a lot, but older. They're 8 and 6. When they wake up from a nightmare or whatever unsettles them, I hug them tight. I tell them they're ok. I listen to their dream. I reassure them that it was just a dream and help them imagine up a new outcome to the dream that got them up. Tuck them back in. Kiss 'em. And rub their back a moment before leaving the room and going back to mine. If they get up again, I walk them back again. It's the same process since they moved into their own beds at 2. They learned this - we're there if they need us to comfort or care for them. But, when it's time to sleep again, it's in their own bed.
    It's not the solution for everyone but it is for us.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:57 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I'm wondering the same thing! We moved at the beginning of this year, since then she will NOT stay in her own room. She will sleep in the living room floor, or on a couch, but not in her room... She says it's too scary and is afraid something is in there. Even with night lights and bears to hug. I'm not sure what to do either. Maybe it's a phase? She just turned 4... Good Luck to us both! lol
    mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 12:10 AM on Oct. 6, 2010