When is it safe

I purchased an 8 wk old chihuahua. My aunt said she had worms so she wormed her for me yesterday evening today she passed two an they was dead. How do i know when she is safe an worm free. An safe. For me an especially my kids to handle her.

lilbritches501

Asked by lilbritches501 at 11:40 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Pets

• Our vet said 3 days after the wormer and the kids will be safe
    saadamarie

Answer by saadamarie at 11:47 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• She will more then likely need to e dewormed a few more times but the best way to know is to take a stool sample into the vet and have them check it
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:37 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I agree with the taking a sample in to the vet for testing. That's the only real way to know for sure.
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 12:08 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I was told three days after treatment, if they pass live worms after that, ya gotta do it again. But if they don't then by day 4 you're safe.

I have a group just for dog lovers if you're interested! www.cafemom.com/group/doggiestyle I'm hoping to learn more myself with the more members we get who have had the experience with dogs!
    MadaMHannaH

Answer by MadaMHannaH at 1:00 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Umm, pretty much ALL standard worms that dogs and cats carry are species specific. This means that your kids can not get worms from your dog. Humans can get tape and other worms, but they are not the same variety that the pets carry. Nor will you children infect your pet should they ever have worms! Lol, so no worries about the kids. Take in a stool sample if you want confirmation they are pest free. Remember, if you have fleas, your pets will have worms (fleas are an intermediary host)--so you may have to treat fleas, and then retreat for worms.
    mamatrip

Answer by mamatrip at 1:07 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Fleas only carry tape worms.Have your vet check a stool sample.If it is positive the vet will give you the proper medication for them.The puppy should be seen by the vet anyway for it's puppy shots,and a well puppy check up.

Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 9:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2010