Not knocking co sleepers, but I have a question about something I saw at the health department today.

There are posters everywhere that state, "Baby is safe in their own bed" There was an information hotline attached also. It basically gave a number of children smothered by a parent during sleeping(non drug or alcohol related), numbers smothered by a sibling sharing a bed, and a few other things. If co sleeping is totally safe why is the state campaigning to have parents not sleep with their children? I'll try to find the poster.

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 11:47 PM on Oct. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Because people are really stupid and do it incorrectly. Co-sleeping can actually reduce SIDS if you do it right. Most people don't do it right. Do you know the percentage of moms around the world that co-sleep? It's A LOT. Most kids don't die from co-sleeping. SIDS was also called crib death.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I would NOT co-sleep, mainly because of this issue. Smothering. I am so afraid that my daughter will accidnetally smother HER new baby. She has this idea that her baby NEEDS to sleep with her. I think she needs to sleep in her own crib. I had all three of my babies sleep in their cribs right away and they were excellent sleepers. And safe.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:50 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I'm not looking for an argument. I'm looking for facts. And I'm not looking to bash people who choose to use cribs either.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 11:51 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I hate the term crib death, the crib didn't kill the baby. It just died in the crib. I don't know why they came up with that name. My cousin died from SIDS.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 11:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• What is the correct way to Co-sleep? I am on the fence, I actually want my child to sleep in its own bed near mine but not in mine. No bashing here either.
    AugustMidge

Answer by AugustMidge at 11:54 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I co sleep on accident a couple times but. I once woke up and baby was like face down so never again I was so tired I didn't feel him turn he is fine but scared me alot
    saadamarie

Answer by saadamarie at 11:55 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I didnt co-sleep with very young infants, but by the time son was 9 months,,,he was climbing over his crib gate and ready for the wide world. Hard to put a 9 month old in a toddler bed, so me and the kid slept on the couches downstairs, we fit on the same cushion,,,lol,,big couch. He stayed with me that way and I knew he was safe, lasted till he was big enough for a toddler bed. Did the best I could way back when,
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:55 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My son was a co-sleeper. He slept all night starting at 3 months. He is still a grand sleeper at 14years. Not arguing...they do it wrong or when overly tired. Most co-sleepers never have an issue. The majority of the world co-sleeps without issue. It's those that don't research and prepare that roll over, or have pillows and heavy blankets near the baby...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:56 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Oh and no squishy mattress.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:57 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I applaud you for just wanting to know the facts...I did co sleep although I was always against it before but with BF'ing and lack of space we had no choice. I am a super light sleeper so felt most every move they made. They say the closeness is better and from what I read SIDS is more common if they sleep away from you. NO I don't have exact facts but I did co sleep with 3 and they are all safe! I was over paranoid about drinking so never drank or even took medicine that made me less alert. We also have a huge bed so if it was smaller it would be harder.To me the worse part of co sleeping is getting them back in their beds.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:58 PM on Oct. 5, 2010