is there a guide for what size nursing bra to buy?

I'm 31 weeks pregnant (I'll be 32 weeks tomorrow yay!). I'm hoarding for the hospital and post-partum...and I was wondering, is there a certain way to "guess" what size nursing bra you'll need? I wear a D at the moment, but I know my boobs will get huge after I deliver. I don't want to buy something too small or too incredibly huge. Also, are nursing bras completely totally necessary, or can you get away with a sports bra? This is my first pregnancy and I'm kind of clueless :P

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 10:48 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Pregnancy

• There really is no way to know. They say you go up about one size. I went up 3. I would suggest a nursing tank top one size larger than you wear now. You can get them from Target. They are very comfy for the first couple weeks.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 10:56 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I assume you will breast feed? Ummm I don't know what size you will need but I will tell you that they get HUGE!!! I'm a A cup and when my milk came in I had to get a large size nursing bra. I fit into a D bra at that point. Be prepared! lol If you are planning on BFing than I would say that a nursing bra would be very helpful but not completely necessary. When I didn't have one I almost had to take my shirt completely off.
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 10:59 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Sorry I didn't finish reading your question. I think they are wonderful. You can find a great selection for a great price at Target. They have some super cute ones too. If you just use regular bra it will get all stretched out and underwires can cause mastitis. Sports bras are most likely too constricting. I know some people that just went bra-less, but I couldn't.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 11:02 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• i was a 36 c when i got preggo and when i began to breastfeed my breast went to a 40ddd
    it was very hard to find that size in stores so i made do with a 42dd and a huge sports bra.good luck!
    ilovemylilymae

Answer by ilovemylilymae at 11:02 PM on Oct. 24, 2008